Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thin line >

Thin line

Thin line

Old 10-04-2017, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
That's what I was thinking too. You could even do it with your machine. I have used a 28 wt thread for spider webs and such in a wall hanging and it looked great.
I too, would either hand or machine embroidery the thin line to look like wire.
Old 10-04-2017, 09:50 AM

Originally Posted by illinois View Post
Remember soutash(sp?) braid? In the days we wore blouses with sailor collars, the braid did the single line around the collar. It was stitched in a ditch in the center and fairly easy to apply as I remember it. That would make a very fine line for skinny bird legs.
I remember using soutache. In fact, I've used it recently in some of the wearable art projects I've done. I didn't think about that. Good suggestion
Old 10-04-2017, 01:01 PM

Originally Posted by SuziSew View Post
you could use a 1/4" bias tape to sew or applique or if that is too wide use a narrow ribbon or cording and zigzag it on
Thats what I would do, or use piping or another skinny trim bty. Another options in a wide decorative or satin stitch and just skip the fabric.
Old 10-04-2017, 04:42 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter View Post
That's what I was thinking too. You could even do it with your machine. I have used a 28 wt thread for spider webs and such in a wall hanging and it looked great.
For a really thin line, thread paint with 12 or 28 wt thread.

For larger, cut a strip 1/2" wide. Cut the sky fabric where you want the line. Sew the strip onto the sky fabric using less than 1/4" seam allowance. Press to the sky fabric. put the other piece of sky fabric onto the strip. With the strip side up, use the edge of the pressure foot to keep a consistant distance, stitch together using less than 1/4" seam allowance. Press the seam either way.
Old 10-04-2017, 10:25 PM

Here is how I was shown to make fine lines on fabric, using fabric. First you cut the black line approx 1/4 inch wide, then fold it in half lengthwise. Now take the right side and fold it into meet the center fold, and then take the left side and fold it into meet the center fold, both left and right side edges will now be in the middle of your 1/4" fabric.

Now stitch a basting line using black thread on your white background fabric where your want your black line to be, and set your right side of the folded black fabric along this stitching line so you can just barely see it with the left and right side opening on the right hand side. Open up your black fabric, and sew a stitching line down the original (Center) first fold, then return the right and left sides to their folded position (folded edges should be on your right) and now stitch on the right side to close that right edge - close to the black basted sewing line, then remove that original basting line. The strip of black line will be approx. 1/16" wide.[ATTACH=CONFIG]581744[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]581745[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]581746[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]581747[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails make-thin-stitching-line-1.jpg   make-thin-stitching-line-2.jpg   make-thin-stitching-line-3.jpg   make-thin-stitching-line-4.jpg  
Old 10-05-2017, 12:30 PM

I made a clothes line quilt for one of my DGGD and I used embroidery thread in my DSM and I did a tight zig zag stitch that worked perfectly to hang the clothes on the clothes line.