Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
thin, see-though fabric >

thin, see-though fabric

thin, see-though fabric

Old 06-11-2015, 08:57 PM
Power Poster

This thin fabric was EXPENSIVE!!!

Perhaps "sheer" would be a better description.

At the time, I purchased it from a shop that seemed to cater to people that mainly used Vogue patterns. At the time they carried silks, woolens, bridal fabrics, lovely trims - -

Last edited by bearisgray; 06-11-2015 at 09:08 PM.
Old 06-12-2015, 03:23 AM

The only time you would really use fabric like batiste is if you made one of Martha Pullen's heirloom quilts. They have pintucks, lace entredeux and shadow work. They are not everyday quilts. Our local Pfaff class used quilts like that to learn the machine and technique.

I know that expensive batiste fabric. I bought some and made entredeux out of all the scraps.
Old 06-12-2015, 06:44 AM
Power Poster

I was using it for a baptismal gown for my children.

It also makes awesome nightgowns.
Old 06-12-2015, 08:34 AM

I call it cotton lawn, but that may be the wrong notation. It is perfect for baby things, with hand embroidery as Weezy said.

It is on my bucket list to make a christening quilt in pale pastels with those clever French stitches - different ones in the center of each block, and have lace edging in the border. Maybe if I ever get a grandchiled!
Old 06-12-2015, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by ghostrider View Post
In the distant past (e.g., antique quilts), ekuw, brown fabrics were the first to disintegrate. It had something to do with the dyes used for that color. Your decision not to use that thin brown piece in your current project may have been a message from a quilting ancestor. LOL
That is very interesting! I figured since it was SO different in feel/weave from the rest of the fabric it would wear out first...
Old 06-13-2015, 05:19 AM

If it's for a quilt, I do not want 'thin' or 'see through.' A baptismal gown or clothiing is a whole different thing. As others said, it depends on the purpose of the fabric.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:41 AM
Power Poster

I totally agree that it makes sense to use materials suitable for the purpose Intended.

The point I was attrmpting to make was that SOME thin, see- through fabrics were tightly woven and expensive.
"Lawn" might be the correct term for what I was using.

Then, there is cheesecloth/bandage gauze which is very loosely woven.

And the fabrics that are in between.
Old 06-13-2015, 05:50 AM

I have made several baptismal gowns and I make a slip to go under the gown--sleeveless top, double lined, and a long skirt--the length of the gown. I have my grandchildren's gown that is 30 years old and it is still in good shape, as well as my own children's at over 50 years old.
Old 06-13-2015, 06:04 AM

I found out years ago, that baptismal gowns can be a problem. Most are two gowns (because they have an under gown), that's why the fabric was so "thin". About the only way you can get away from the sheer fabric is if you use moms wedding dress.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:00 AM

I have used cotton batiste for nightgowns, but it is absolutely the most expensive cotton fabric that I have ever purchased. It was fabulous for that purpose. When I'm purchasing fabric, I like to feel it and look at the tightness of the weave. Looser weaves tend to fray. I do not like to use see through or coarse fabrics in my quilts.