Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Things I should know about new machine? >

Things I should know about new machine?

Things I should know about new machine?

Old 04-29-2012, 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by Buckeye Rose View Post
I had one ....lasted for about 2 years, then died a very painful death ....in the middle of fmq a king sized quilt!....cost too much to repair the PLASTIC PARTS, so I bought a used Janome....wish I had never seen the brother, such a waste of money.

“Plastic” parts are needed on those new computerized or electronic type of sewing machines, no matter the make or brand. The selfsame computer “brain” & chips are very very sensitive to dust and/or magnets. The older mechanical sewing machines can use metal unless it has one of those chips inside it. My computer I am using right now is made with solid state electronic parts. My sewing machine is what it is......a machine that sews 1 or more layers of fabric together. And repairs on those fancy computers of any type is a real nightmare.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:57 PM

I have this machine. I have been using for about 5 years, but do not sew daily. I really like that it is so easy to use and very light weight. Enjoy your new toy!!!!
Old 04-29-2012, 08:46 PM

Yay! I bought a new brother a couple months ago and loveit. The default needle position on my pc420 is the far left, which is a little odd to get used to. Ive forgotten to move it to center position a couple times and had it hit my quilting foot. I think the cs6000i might be similar. A couple of friends have that machine and really like it. It's a great value for the price.
Old 04-29-2012, 09:05 PM

I just got this machine is January! I love it. I replaced my other brother that i had for 10 years, still works great but I wanted more stitches. I have FMQ on it. I have found that it is very picky about thread, the thread has to match the fabrics or tension problems with FMQ. Piecing doesn't seem to be a big deal with thread. I had to set the tension on 8 with FMQ to avoid eyelashes. Mine came with all the extra quilting feet which was fabulous!! I tried to put my walking foot from my other brother on this one and they are not the same broke the needle.....the opening for this one is bigger on the walking foot. Just thought I'd share. I love it but the throat is very small still I don't know that you could do a king without a fight but I would love to see it if you do!!! I found that it uses a 75 needle vs the 90 I usually use. Hope this all helps if it doesn't please note mine is hooked into a transformer because i live in German housing so it may just be my machine performance. Happy Quilting!!!
Old 04-30-2012, 03:34 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
Enjoy your machine. There will be pros and cons for every brand, none are perfect for everyone. Plastic parts are in every machine except the older ones. I have Brother, Singer, Janome and Bernina. Even had a Pfaff but gave it away. I like them all. Even now I don't care which one I sew on, they all sew a straight seam just fine.
I love your thoughts, BellaBoo. Isn't that the truth. My dinky Brother thanks you!!
Old 04-30-2012, 05:06 AM

Originally Posted by sarahbear1214 View Post
So i just recently bought a Brother CS6000i computerized sewing machine and i should be getting it on Tuesday! I needed a new machine because my old one just isnt big enough and kind of hard to use, it also would be impossible to FMQ my king size project...needless to say im ecstatic about my first real nice sewing machine I want to know of anyone else that has this machine and how they like it, if there are any quirks that i need to know about it, or if they have any tips on how to get really good results or better ease of use on it=)
I have this machine and I do like it for the varible speeds, the up/down needle position but I had a problem with putting on binding because of the many layers that the needle had to pass thru. I didn't have the "chunking" problem until I changed the needle. I couldn't find much help with the "chunking noise" problem so I decided to go back to the manual and put in the type of needle that came with the machine. My machine came with a size 11 needle and that is what I put back in and now it seems to be working much better and the "chunking" sound is much quieter. Before it just seemed like the machine was laboring very hard to get thru that many layers of fabric and now with the size 11 needle it seems to go much smoother. However, I have several of the old Singers and I will take them any time over the newer machines. I even have the new Singer 160 and it is better than my brother CS6000i but I am still partial to the old vintage Singers.