Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... >

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Old 12-11-2011, 03:51 PM

I gave my neighbors grandson a quilt when he was born and I was not too happy with it but his mammy took it home and it replaced one the sister had bought right over his crib his mommy said that hand made was better
Old 12-11-2011, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt View Post
I've gotten the "oh I don't need another afghan, I have enough" (referring to a quilt) but then when they see the results being handed to a different family member, "oh I didn't think it was going to be that nice"!
I am quoting myself yup cuz today, I had a lovely NOT conversation with a not so dsil. Said sil son is getting married in 2012, on Thanksgiving I spoke with my nephews fiancé about making them a wedding quilt as their present. She seemed rather receptive. I offered to show her my quilt books and make the quilt in their choice of colors as well (gave her the choice to pick the fabric if she wanted). Bride said sounds great we are about to redo the bedroom and haven't chosen a color scheme yet but I will let you know when we decide on the colors.

Sil today says well, I purchased expensive fabric for curtains and am having them custom made and have asked the lady to also make them a matching bedspread. I don't want you wasting your time and money when I've already arranged for this. I at first attempted to educate her on the difference between a bedspread and a quilt, as well as the symbolism of a wedding quilt. She insisted that she felt my time will be wasted.

Eventually gave up and didn't even say any of the nasty things going through my head - just cuz it is close to Christmas and didnt want to cause a huge family rift. I made my sil many quilted items for Christmas as well as purchased gifts for her. There is no way in HEdouble-hockey sticks that I am giving those to her. My husband says I should call my nephew to find out if it was just his mother's position or his as well. I told him I will not be making the couple anything as I know that it will hurt me with every stitch to be reminded of today.

Sorry for such a long story but I just had to share with people who would get it
Old 12-11-2011, 08:13 PM

Red face

Originally Posted by Gabrielle's Mimi View Post
I often hear, "Oh, my grandmother/great-grandmother used to do that in the old days" as if I am 120 years old and hunched over a treadle machine. The other line I love is, "People still do that?"
You should see the looks I get when people find out that I make quilts using a treadle machine. lol
Sharon W. in Texas
Old 12-11-2011, 08:31 PM

I made a wedding quilt for my DH's brother and new bride. Nobody ever sees the patchwork side of the quilt, only the backing as she doesn't like quilts. It just broke my heart. I haven't given anymore quilts to her. Most of my quilts are for a local children's charity and Quilts of Valor; I know that my quilts are appreciated by these recipients.
Old 12-11-2011, 08:40 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
I bought one of those cheap Wal-Mart quilts at a yard sale for $5.00 it had been washed twice and was falling apart.
I hung it in my shop to show people who think my prices are to high. They can quickly see the difference when side by side with one of my quilts.
I think that was a great idea. My mil is out the same ilk.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
How about the people who say they can buy a quilt like you are making for much cheaper at Wal-Mart.
Well truth be told then can. Even in the Sears catolgue there are quilts in there I couldn't make for the prices they charge. I had a relative ask why I bother when I can buy them ready made for cheaper? Honestly some people!
Old 12-13-2011, 08:22 AM

When I first started quilting, I made my Mom a red and "white" quilt for her bed. I didn't know that the "white" really muslin needed to be from the same dye lot. It didn't match. She had that quilt on her bed until the day she died, 10 years at least. She never said a word about the pieces not matching. She has been gone for 5 1/2 years. I miss her every day.
Sue
Old 12-13-2011, 09:50 AM

Location: Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.

Originally Posted by miriam View Post
I bet you could give 10 people on here identical piles of fabric and each would create his or her own unique style quilt - I bet no two would be identical!!!
What a terrific idea for the new year as a challenge here on the board!!! Wouldn't that be fun?! Anybody else interested, got ideas for parameters for such a challenge?

Jan in VA
Old 12-13-2011, 09:58 AM

I always love the " Oh! what a nice blanket!"
Old 12-13-2011, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
What a terrific idea for the new year as a challenge here on the board!!! Wouldn't that be fun?! Anybody else interested, got ideas for parameters for such a challenge?

Jan in VA
When I took my basic quilting class we all used the same pattern but chose our own fabric and I couldn't believe how different every quilt looked. It could be fun to go from the other direction.