Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... >

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Old 12-13-2011, 11:32 AM
Power Poster

WHY on earth would anyone cut apart perfectly good yardage just to sew the scraps back together? (My mother)

A lady from the Phillipines came into my office and inquired about the kilt. I answered that DH hasn't worn it in a while. This resulted in a puzzled look. SHE was talking about my QUILT - I was looking at the picture of my DH in his KILT on the wall. lol She never did get it right.

Said with real distain: "Well, if it gives you joy. I think it's a punishment for someone who killed both Mother and Father" (Translated from German) I think Andrea and I know the same people. lol
Old 12-13-2011, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by EmbQuilt View Post
I am quoting myself yup cuz today, I had a lovely NOT conversation with a not so dsil. Said sil son is getting married in 2012, on Thanksgiving I spoke with my nephews fiancé about making them a wedding quilt as their present. She seemed rather receptive. I offered to show her my quilt books and make the quilt in their choice of colors as well (gave her the choice to pick the fabric if she wanted). Bride said sounds great we are about to redo the bedroom and haven't chosen a color scheme yet but I will let you know when we decide on the colors.

Sil today says well, I purchased expensive fabric for curtains and am having them custom made and have asked the lady to also make them a matching bedspread. I don't want you wasting your time and money when I've already arranged for this. I at first attempted to educate her on the difference between a bedspread and a quilt, as well as the symbolism of a wedding quilt. She insisted that she felt my time will be wasted.

Eventually gave up and didn't even say any of the nasty things going through my head - just cuz it is close to Christmas and didnt want to cause a huge family rift. I made my sil many quilted items for Christmas as well as purchased gifts for her. There is no way in HEdouble-hockey sticks that I am giving those to her. My husband says I should call my nephew to find out if it was just his mother's position or his as well. I told him I will not be making the couple anything as I know that it will hurt me with every stitch to be reminded of today.

Sorry for such a long story but I just had to share with people who would get it
Oh, no! Hopefully it was just the SIL idea, and not the grooms' too. Maybe he and the bride will find out what she plans, and ask her not to include the bedspread, as they would prefer a quilt from you.

Good for you not wanting to cause trouble in the family. But after Christmas, maybe approach the couple and ask if they still want the quilt, or if there is something different you could make. Perhaps they would love a quilt for the couch, or a wallhanging.

People just don't undertand the significance of the wedding quilt. So sad.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:09 PM

Originally Posted by nhweaver View Post
I forgot the one from my mil (now deceased, and I hesitate to speak evil of those who are no longer with us), she was a phenominal seamstress and at times snippy, who critiqued my first grandbaby handquilted quilt that I made (at the baby shower), to my daughter when she opened the gift,she said "those stitches are so uneven, give me that "thing" and I will do it right!!!" It was my best effort at the time, my daughter thanked her, and went on opening the gifts. Everyone else at the shower was impressed with my efforts.
My first was 37 years ago for my nephew given at a shower before he was born. As it was being passed around someone said that is hand made. My sister piped up and said "Oh, no, it isn't. It's from my sister." Everyone had a good laugh. I took some photos lately and I will post them soon.
Old 12-13-2011, 01:12 PM

Well, at least she recognized it wasn't a quick project!
Old 12-13-2011, 01:17 PM

What is the significance of a wedding quilt?
Old 12-13-2011, 01:48 PM

I love African fabric and was told by my FORMER DIL that I would "outgrow using that type of fabric". Some folks just don't get it!
Old 12-13-2011, 02:08 PM

Woman came into the shop where I worked and wanted to find someone to make a baby quilt for her. We asked how much she wanted to spend and she said she thought she paid $14 for the last one she bought. We sent here to another shop and as far as I know she's still looking for a $14 baby quilt.
A man asked me to make a quilt for his daughter. He said his grandmother had made him one when he was a child and he loved it. He hopes his daughter will be as happy with hers. I think he would have paid almost anything I asked for it. There's a man who appreciates homemade quilts. He could have gotten one much cheaper at walmart. lol
Old 12-13-2011, 02:34 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by grammatjr View Post
Oh, no! Hopefully it was just the SIL idea, and not the grooms' too. Maybe he and the bride will find out what she plans, and ask her not to include the bedspread, as they would prefer a quilt from you.

Good for you not wanting to cause trouble in the family. But after Christmas, maybe approach the couple and ask if they still want the quilt, or if there is something different you could make. Perhaps they would love a quilt for the couch, or a wallhanging.

People just don't undertand the significance of the wedding quilt. So sad.
In their case maybe they DO understand the significance.... then just turn their backs on the significance.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:08 AM

Do we have a epidemic of "stupid" going around? What is wrong with people besides being ill-mannered?
Old 12-14-2011, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by mojo11 View Post
Do we have a epidemic of "stupid" going around? What is wrong with people besides being ill-mannered?
I think the epidemic has spread far beyond any of our expectations!! LOL