Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... >

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Old 12-15-2011, 09:49 AM

Oh, is the $8542 and $3677 total from the stash that she will admit to having? At $10/yard that is only 367 yards of fabric per quilter. I guess joining the "no fabric bought in 2012" group will crash the economy!!!

Originally Posted by damaquilts View Post
Answer to people who think its little old ladies sitting around a frame in a church basement somewhere. LOL

1. Quilters Newsletter and Quilts Inc. presented the latest results of the Quilting in America™ 2010 survey. This is the sixth in a series of studies done since 1994 with the intent of measuring the amount of time and money quilters spend on their hobby in addition to profiling the key segments of the market. Some findings: Estimated dollar value of the quilting industry is $3.58 billion. Total quilters in the U.S. now exceeds 21 million. In 2010 dedicated quilters spent a total of nearly $2.5 billion. The dedicated quilter has $8,542 in quilting tools and supplies and owns on average $3,677 worth of fabric. Watch for more details on the survey findings in the Summer issue of The Professional Quilter.
Old 12-15-2011, 09:53 AM

I guess I balance your quilting tools amount, my machines are over $10000 (some of them are 10 years old) when new, over 25 years I have lots of templates, books, thread, etc, etc, etc, I don't even want to think about it.

Originally Posted by ptquilts View Post
still trying to wrap my mind around $8,542 in quilting tools!!! Wow - that is a pretty decent used car.

Let's see, I have about $300 worth of basic sewing machines, some scissors, yardsticks, thimbles, needles, 4 or 5 quilting hoops. I don't think I would even reach $500.

Now fabric, that's another story!
Old 12-15-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by Jan in VA View Post
What a terrific idea for the new year as a challenge here on the board!!! Wouldn't that be fun?! Anybody else interested, got ideas for parameters for such a challenge?

Jan in VA
Jan,

I'm in!
Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by LenaBeena View Post
All through life I have had to fend off hurtful remarks.
"You're a teacher so you don't have a real job." "Do you know how tall you are?" "You know how to use a chain saw?" "Why would anyone sew?" "Ewwww, you got that at a yard sale, how awful!" "You let your children go to foreign countries --- people are different there!!!" On and on. Sometimes my brain works well and I give a very sweet, thought provoking comment that makes anyone listening realize how wrong the speaker is. Sometimes I just smile and stare at them until they start to think. My husband says just to consider the source. I liked the comment about pigs, right on!
Reminds me of a comment a customer made to me one "Monday" holiday as she was spending her day off shopping in my clothing store ( I was the manager). I teased her about having a Monday holiday off from work and she replied that I was open because she worked for a living!! I replied that yes, I did not work! wTH??? She did not have a comeback for me. Still ticks me off almost 30 years later.
Sandy
Old 12-17-2011, 06:56 AM

I saw an earlier post asking what the significance of a wedding quilt is....I too would like to know. Is it due to the pattern or because it was gifted for the wedding?
Old 12-17-2011, 02:59 PM

There's a quote that covers the thinking of some of the people mentioned in this thread. I don't remember it exactly, but it goes something like - "He knows the price of everything, but the value of nothing."

One example of this is the cost of a mass produced quilt at Walmart compared to the value of a lovingly-crafted, handmade quilt.

Tate
Old 12-18-2011, 05:55 AM

just to add something I used to hear when I had quilts on consignment in shops. They would sell a quilt and then say they couldn't pay me that month -- they had electric bills, heating bills, etc. Had to pay them first. Like I didn't have any bills to pay...
Old 12-20-2011, 05:26 AM

I like to come back to bad remarks by putting them on the spot. Such as, "Do you realize how incredibly rude that comment was?" or "Was it your intention to be that ill mannered?" Something that gets right to the point of their ignorant behaviour and holds them accountable.
Old 12-20-2011, 05:54 AM

I made one of those horrible remarks this weekend. A grandson had taken his cousin's advice on what to wear to a party and very inadvisably dressed. I said, "I can't believe you listened to her. She's not even married!" Meaning, a single girl doesn't have the experience a wife does. However, it was a classic moment of open mouth and insert foot. I felt horrible. What was worse, his cousin had just last year gone through a horrible experience of having to break off an engagement with a man she loved but who was just not ready to commit to doing anything but telling her what to do and when and how to do it.No one could believe I had said that, including me.
I hope it is explained by the vagarieties of old age.
Old 12-20-2011, 06:33 AM

A friend of mine has a husband who says he just can't understand why we buy these big pieces of fabric that are usually pretty enough on their own and then we cut them all up just to sew them back together again. I guess from the outside world, it might seem kind of crazy.