Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... >

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Old 12-09-2011, 02:39 PM

I am always asked (by my hubby) "who's that one for?". I tried to explain, the quilts just need to get made! Sometimes I make them for that reason alone!
Old 12-09-2011, 02:51 PM
Power Poster

Just yesterday a girl at work asked me if I had a blue quilt that I could applique a 'B' on real quick to give as a baby gift. I told her I didn't have one ready. She was surprised and actually thought I had these quick quilts stockpiled. She was upset and disappointed that I couldn't accomodate her. Oh well!
peace
Old 12-09-2011, 03:01 PM

Rock on, Jan in VA!!!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:07 PM

My sister whom I dont associate with any more always put me down she would say why quilt you can but a blanket cheeper. why make bread there are many bakeries that sell specialty bread, why make jewelry you can buy it cheeper on sale, or why crochet no one crochets anymore the one I like the best is is the way your hands hurt and all your body aches you shouldnt be doing all that She just does not get it that doing these things is what keeps me going and active
Old 12-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by AshleyR View Post
I have one of those "hand-quilted" $39.99 quilts I'll send you too. Those quilts are everywhere here. Not the Walmart quilts, but the ones sold at flea-markets and tourist-shops. I once asked the owner of one of them how they can sell them so cheap. He told me that a woman owns a town and let's people live in the town "for free". There is a fabric factory (he didn't tell me how the tops were made, but I imagine a sewing factory) and they get a oxen-pulled cart full of quilt tops. They have these needles that are 9-inches long and load them up and knock a cart full of quilts out in a week. That's how they pay their rent.
Then tourists come to the Smoky mountains and see these cheap, crappy quilts and think that's how "homemade" quilts are supposed to be! And they buy a $40 hand-crafted souvenir to take back home and then they and their friends think that hand crafts shouldn't be more than $40!
There is a town that is driving distance from me and I was so excited to see they had a shop that sold quilts. So my mom and I went in. This lady had a house that was packed(and I mean packed where you could hardly walk through the place) full of quilts. She was selling them as handmade in the USA. There were some with the made in China labels still on them and she was selling them for $350 and up. I just chuckled and left.

I always love getting the comment that I must have alot of free time to make everything I do. I always want to tell them that I work full time, have three kids that I take care of and still manage to get it done. It's all about how you spent your time. It would take me almost a year to sit and watch 10 hours of tv.
Old 12-09-2011, 03:36 PM

Originally Posted by valleyquiltermo View Post
I bought one of those cheap Wal-Mart quilts at a yard sale for $5.00 it had been washed twice and was falling apart.
I hung it in my shop to show people who think my prices are to high. They can quickly see the difference when side by side with one of my quilts.
That is a great idea to do!
Old 12-09-2011, 03:59 PM

How about the lady today (dec NINTH), who called me on the phone. She got my name from a friend of hers as someone who makes t-shirt quilts. She was AMAZED that I could not get one done before Christmas. (as in, I have a LIFE, a quilt ON the frame, a quilt yet to be pieced and quilted and bound, and yes,we are traveling on the 21st!) She still wanted to know if I knew someone who could make this quilt for her. NO CLUE. And this 2 days after a 'friend' I have not heard from in a YEAR, called up and wanted to know could I do her a favor. (I, waiting for the shoe to drop). She wanted to know if I had time before Christmas, could she come over and USE my frame. Oh, and sorry I am not asking you to quilt it. It would not be mine. (she has never quilted on a frame..so guess who would have had to do most of it anyway? And no consideration that it might take some PRACTICE to get good on it!) Sorry to vent! I'm still shaking my head! (and no, I would not let her drive my car if she didn't have a license either!! lolol)

(oh, I told her, sweetly, that IF I got done with my quilts before I left, I would be SURE to call her. ((NOT)) !)
Old 12-09-2011, 05:37 PM

Not so much quilting since I am so new at it...but sewing bags/purses/clothing. People who sew know that fabric is not cheap anymore...remembering back when we made our kids clothes and our own because it was cheaper. But people who don't sew will usually say to me...I know I could save money if I just knew how to sew stuff like you do. Uhhhhhhh........the quilted purse that cost me what...over $60. just for the fabric. Cheap????

Not sewing/quilting related but my other in home business...pouring scented candles/soaps/body products. When doing craft shows you "strain" to hear what people are whispering and you hear stuff like...oh you can buy candles cheap at the $ store or Walmart etc. Uhhhhhh........mine are handpoured and tested for quality and safety. My wicks are straight and in the MIDDLE of the candles...not off to the side or over almost against the edge of the glass container. They are scented the whole way through...not just a layer of scented wax poured over the top. No Made in China labels on MY stuff. You have to have thick skin to sell your products...but you do have to laugh though at a lot of stuff you hear people say.
Old 12-09-2011, 05:59 PM

As I was proudly telling my family about my new hobby quilting, my father said, "I hate quilts".

Well, I don't have to worry about making him a quilt. It really hurt my feelings.
Old 12-09-2011, 06:18 PM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
As I was proudly telling my family about my new hobby quilting, my father said, "I hate quilts".

Well, I don't have to worry about making him a quilt. It really hurt my feelings.
My daddy said the same thing when I started quilting. Turns out he slept under a mountain of quilts as a boy in a house with no heat and still slept cold. I never made him a quilt. I did make him a sweater that he wore until it was ragged threads.
Few comments are made thoughtfully. I swear most people (and I'm guilty at times) think out loud without realizing how it sounds. We enjoy our craft, just as others enjoy whatever they do that we don't understand. I ride a motorcycle (to remote quilt shops!). My favorite comment is, "You rode that here?" To prevent myself from making a rude smart-elicky remark, (like, no, it followed me) I try to remember that they just want to talk and don't know what to say. And yes, there are the jealous and mean-spirited. They need our prayers and mercy. (but not our quilts!)