Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... >

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Old 12-09-2011, 06:51 PM

Love reading all this, but to me it's kind of depressing....... I absolutely love getting a homemade gift over anything bought, just because it was made for me! It kills me that there are so many out there that just doesn't understand the love, time, thoughts creativity ect.... involved in making something from scratch. I still have my baby blanket, tattered and worn as it is, that my grandmother made me 47 years ago from my mothers maternity clothes. Also in my cedar chest I have all the little things that my kids made for me, and given with such proud looks of achievements on their faces. I wouldn't trade any of this stuff for anything bought. Sorry I didn't contribute to the actual topic, but...... ....
Old 12-09-2011, 08:08 PM

Hmmmm, I am reminded of a thank you note from four of my friends. I had told all four that I would make them a quilt if they bought the fabric and selected the pattern (from patterns I had made already....nothing new for me to learn.) All four took me up on it, and we met for lunch and then went to a fabric store for each to buy fabric. At lunch, they had offered to pay me to make the quilts, and I told them "they couldn't afford me, that it would take 40 hours to make each quilt, and even at minimum wage, they couldn't pay me to do it. I just wanted to make them each a quilt they liked."

Four months later I delivered the quilts, at the same time at a lunch at one of their houses....their idea, not mine. (I never dreamed they wouldn't want to see the quilts until I had made all four.) Each lady was delighted with her quilt, and they had even bought me a $100 gift card from a quilt store. Nice lunch. HOWEVER, the thank you card with the card said that they felt so lucky that I didn't sew well enough to sell my quilts, as it was to their advantage, since I sewed well enough to sew for them.

That lunch was two months ago, and I am still hurt by that comment. They did learn though that a quilt is not cheap, as even though I warned them that buying the fabric would not be cheap, they were each surprised at how much it cost just for the fabric. The quilts, by the way, turned out beautifully, and I sew quite well, thank you!!

Oh, it feels good to finally fuss out loud about that.

Dina
Old 12-09-2011, 08:17 PM

Originally Posted by Diana Lynne View Post
You can add the looks some will give as well ..Sometimes I think homemade items are a thing of the past..Maybe we can add labels and hang a price sticker on them and than give it to them? ..Diana
Years ago, yearssssssssssssssssssssss ago, my BIL made the remark on opening his handmade Christmas present "That's as good as something you could buy!". My sis, his loving wife, hit the floor, fearing for her life & his!
Old 12-09-2011, 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by RenaB View Post
My response to the one that stated this would be, I do not see how because I do not sell my quilts to WalMart so how can they be the same?

I have found these people are jealous that they do not have the drive, talent, or patience to make beautiful art but yet wish they could.
Think about people who make comments like that. Don't you feel sorry for them that they are not able to SEE the difference in quality work and cheap knock offs?
Old 12-09-2011, 08:30 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
Just yesterday a girl at work asked me if I had a blue quilt that I could applique a 'B' on real quick to give as a baby gift. I told her I didn't have one ready. She was surprised and actually thought I had these quick quilts stockpiled. She was upset and disappointed that I couldn't accomodate her. Oh well!
peace
I think I'd have told her I'd bring a pattern tomorrow and she could wipe one up after work.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:33 PM

Originally Posted by hperttula123 View Post
There is a town that is driving distance from me and I was so excited to see they had a shop that sold quilts. So my mom and I went in. This lady had a house that was packed(and I mean packed where you could hardly walk through the place) full of quilts. She was selling them as handmade in the USA. There were some with the made in China labels still on them and she was selling them for $350 and up. I just chuckled and left.

I always love getting the comment that I must have alot of free time to make everything I do. I always want to tell them that I work full time, have three kids that I take care of and still manage to get it done. It's all about how you spent your time. It would take me almost a year to sit and watch 10 hours of tv.
I'd have asked her why the tags were on there. Sorry, just could not help it.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
Hmmmm, I am reminded of a thank you note from four of my friends. I had told all four that I would make them a quilt if they bought the fabric and selected the pattern (from patterns I had made already....nothing new for me to learn.) All four took me up on it, and we met for lunch and then went to a fabric store for each to buy fabric. At lunch, they had offered to pay me to make the quilts, and I told them "they couldn't afford me, that it would take 40 hours to make each quilt, and even at minimum wage, they couldn't pay me to do it. I just wanted to make them each a quilt they liked."

Four months later I delivered the quilts, at the same time at a lunch at one of their houses....their idea, not mine. (I never dreamed they wouldn't want to see the quilts until I had made all four.) Each lady was delighted with her quilt, and they had even bought me a $100 gift card from a quilt store. Nice lunch. HOWEVER, the thank you card with the card said that they felt so lucky that I didn't sew well enough to sell my quilts, as it was to their advantage, since I sewed well enough to sew for them.

That lunch was two months ago, and I am still hurt by that comment. They did learn though that a quilt is not cheap, as even though I warned them that buying the fabric would not be cheap, they were each surprised at how much it cost just for the fabric. The quilts, by the way, turned out beautifully, and I sew quite well, thank you!!

Oh, it feels good to finally fuss out loud about that.

Dina
Did you keep the card? Maybe you ought to show it to them and tell them how much it hurt you.
Old 12-09-2011, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by lovingmama View Post
"The housewifes that are bored and don't have anything else to do, quilt!"

That was the one that stuck most in my memory. Yeah! We are all bored, don't have lifes, family members to take care off, no jobs, no bills to pay, no cleaning, cooking or anything else to do. We just sit and quilt!

On top of it, we are all rich, because we have no problems buying all that fabric or any other stupid gadget we need for quilting.

Awwww, the life of a quilter, it's a good one!
But we are rich, and we do have good lives! We are rich in friendship, family, love, creativity and giving. And I suspect that none of us are EVER bored! Not too many folks can say that!
Old 12-09-2011, 09:10 PM

Originally Posted by Lori S View Post
I have been quilting for a long time, and the one that always gets me is ...." you don't look like the type!" .... when I inquire what "type" the response is always along the line .... "Well... that something my grand mother did ".
That made me think of a conversation (not quilting related) I had with a woman I worked with who was a bit overweight (as am I). She went to a vegetarian restaurant and the next day was raving about the food. So I asked her if she was a vegetarian.

She looked at me as if I had two heads, and said, "Do I LOOK like a vegetarian?"

I was startled by her question, so can't really take credit for a snappy comeback, but here's my reply. "I don't know. What do vegetarians look like?"

She busted up laughing and had to admit that she had no answer for that! Seems she felt her weight made it impossible for her to be a vegetarian.
Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 PM

They really messed that "compliment' up, didn't they? No doubt they meant well. Sometimes we have to overlook the words in a message to see the love in it.

I think we've all been there and had to do that at one time or another. I know I've been the guilty party on more than one occasion, too!