Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... >

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Old 12-10-2011, 05:57 AM

Originally Posted by Dina View Post
the thank you card said that they felt so lucky that I didn't sew well enough to sell my quilts, as it was to their advantage, since I sewed well enough to sew for them.
Dina
Dina, What a horrible, insensitive thing for them to say. I am so sorry you had to hear that comment. Thank goodness we have each other on the board to appreciate our quilts.
Old 12-10-2011, 06:09 AM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
Dina, What a horrible, insensitive thing for them to say. I am so sorry you had to hear that comment. Thank goodness we have each other on the board to appreciate our quilts.
That is why it felt good to finally fuss about it somewhere. I know only one of my friends wrote the card, and the other three just signed it, but it put a sour note on the end of a fun experience, as I had enjoyed making the quilts for them. Now that I have fussed about it, I can move on and forget it...which I sort of thought I had already done.

Dina
Old 12-10-2011, 06:15 AM

I guarantee you that no one would be given a quilt who said anything negative to me. My first year to quilt, I worked very hard to make quilts for everyone in my family. I had asked my mother over and over if she wasn't sure she wanted one. Her answer was, "Oh, no, I don't think so. I already have a quilt." So, I didn't start one for her. I'm pretty sure she thought they would be substandard. Anyhow, she was here at Thanksgiving and I was showing her the ones I had made for my son, grandson, mother in law and daughter. Guess what? All of a sudden, she wanted one too. She got a quilt top for Christmas, but she had to pay to have it quilted! She should have spoken up sooner. And an even bigger guess what??? She wants me to make her another one now. When we were in Shipshewana for a wedding, she picked out the fabric and paid for it! LOL She now understands really well just what is involved in a quilt; both the time and the money!!! I love it!!
Old 12-10-2011, 07:15 AM

I have to say that I like all you QB-ers comments and thoughts much better than the ones that were made to you. Some of you are much better at thinking of snappy comebacks than I am.

Recently I invited three crafty friends to a lunch and quilt show. We go to lunch together occasionally, but this time you would have thought I'd asked them to follow it up with a trip to the gynecologist. One said she only liked plain bedspreads, another didn't like quilts and the third asked me afterwards how I liked the "blankies". Ha! And these are crafters who know the love and labor that goes into handwork. I just don't get it. It was a terrific show by the way, put on by the Kenan Quilt Guild. My DH went with me instead and loved it too.

Old 12-10-2011, 07:20 AM

I am a beginner and have not yet shared any of my quilts. As soon as I put the binding on it, we will send my first shared quilt to my husband's only granddaughter. I didn't quilt it but picked the pattern, fabric, cut and stitched the top and the label. I also chose the backing and the binding. We paid to have it quilted since I don't know how to do that yet. I hope to get a good response but if not, I'm hoping it doesn't bother my husband.

I've been sewing since I was a little girl. It's interesting that when someone finds out that you sew, they will say things like- "I should get you to ________." Fill in the blank with things like patch my clothes, sew my buttons, repair the zipper in my favorite pants, hem my pants, etc. I do have a thing for people telling me they should get me to do something instead of asking if I can or will. I just politely say something like "I don't do that kind of work for the public". They just don't understand what's involved. Some of them don't even own a needle and thread and have never been in a fabric store.

I love making things so just move on after the comments. I love learning what I'm learning and renewing my love of stitching. I use the term "Hand Crafted" and not Home Made or Hand Made. People seemed to like that when we had a store.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:32 AM

The very best compliment I received was this spring when I made two huge (9' X 6") quilts for a very close friend of my dd. They were made from her outgrown clothing and after she awed them for a great length of time she told me I should advertise & make them for the rich as I could easily get at least $6,000 for them. My payment was free dental for life (I am retired and do longer have dental coverage). The owner of a lqs told me I was either a saint or needed to be committed until I told her what my payment was.

These are comments I will forever treasure.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:36 AM

Originally Posted by GwynR View Post
coworker looking at a baby quilt.... "oh, that's so pretty, you could sell those. you could get $25-$30 bucks for those!"
my response..... "the fabric cost over $50 bucks."
her jaw dropped for a moment, then.... "oh, i guess you can't sell them then."
When we first met and she found out I quilted, my SIL said she'd won a quilt at a raffle. She wasn't too impressed with it, then I told her how much it cost for the fabric, etc., and she realized she'd won something valuable.
Old 12-10-2011, 07:39 AM

I often hear, "Oh, my grandmother/great-grandmother used to do that in the old days" as if I am 120 years old and hunched over a treadle machine. The other line I love is, "People still do that?"
Old 12-10-2011, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
How about the people who say they can buy a quilt like you are making for much cheaper at Wal-Mart.
I get that one....my reply....."No you can't, this is a one of a kind, completely unique, never will be another one just like it quilt. Sorry, but it's not for you."
Old 12-10-2011, 07:55 AM
sap

When someone says something I don't like about the quilt I've made them I just say; "Well give it back to me n I'll fix it". Haven't gotten one back yet.