Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... >

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Old 12-10-2011, 12:24 PM

The remark that stays with me came from my husband. I had been knitting or crocheting afghans for nieces and nephews, when he suggested that I start getting into something cheaper to make -- like quilting. Little did he know he had started
me on a much more expensive way of gifting. But I've been quilting ever since.
Old 12-10-2011, 01:41 PM

Last summer I had my grandaughter's all out on the front porch and I was making them rip out some free motion they had done that was crazy looking on their quilts they were making. I had one of them in my lap as well working on it. About 5 different people coming down the street just had to stop and chat about the quilts. One lady was so excited she wanted me to make her one right away or teach her how. She had it that she was coming back and start as soon as possible without even asking me if it was ok. I was kind of overwhelmed with her strong personality. Anyway I never saw her again! lol she never showed up and I was kind of glad! But yes people do say crazy stuff sometimes, so do I....
Old 12-10-2011, 02:19 PM

I consider myself lucky as all my family appreciates my quilts. My DH is the best. Every quilt I make he says is the prettiest and is it for us.
Old 12-10-2011, 03:14 PM

Originally Posted by GingerK View Post
You know, I must live in a bubble--a very nice bubble--because I have never had a negative comment--even for my first efforts. I do believe my DD thought I was nuts--until she saw the first baby quilt I made and claimed it for her first born, who was born 5 years later! Thanks for the morning smiles!
I have never had a negative remark reguarding my quilting either, although I am myself very self critical of them.
Old 12-10-2011, 04:34 PM

I once had a comment on a quilt that took me three years to complete " what a waste of time, you could have bought one".. It was a labor of love and my daughter loved .it
Old 12-10-2011, 05:34 PM

Wow, that's rough! and I dont mean the toenails!

Originally Posted by Dyan View Post
A woman once told me "you could snag your toenail on those stitches" I had showed her a quilt I had lap quilted, I was proud but she shot me down quick. I still hand quilt and Yep you could still snag your toenail...lol Family and friends do not complain.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:40 PM
Power Poster

My comment was delivered by my grandson, who is 11, this summer when they were visiting. I covered him up with the quilt I just finished hand quilting - took me a few years on and off. I said "Raymond, I made this quilt" and he said "Wow, Grandma, it looks just like the kind you can buy in a store!" But he said it with admiration and I took it as a compliment. I've made him some things over the years, mainly halloween costumes and pajama pants, and one whole cloth quilt (he was born before I began quilting) and he always thinks Grandma can "whip it up" whatever it is.
Old 12-10-2011, 05:50 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
How about the people who say they can buy a quilt like you are making for much cheaper at Wal-Mart.
I would answer those people with, "Yes, but I refuse to support slave labor." (Which Walmart sells...)
Old 12-10-2011, 06:05 PM
Power Poster

When I get the ignorant response of 'real quilting is done all by hand' I just say I quilt the way I want to.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:41 PM

Originally Posted by Elise1 View Post
Dina, What a horrible, insensitive thing for them to say. I am so sorry you had to hear that comment. Thank goodness we have each other on the board to appreciate our quilts.
I keep wondering, since it was a written note, if the comment was not meant the way it sounded. We all know that emails are often misinterpreted because there is no expression or tone of voice to modify the words. I hope that's the case, but I'm glad you have moved on.