Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those oh so funny remarks about quilting... >

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Those oh so funny remarks about quilting...

Old 12-10-2011, 08:37 AM

I think the people that make the snarky or insensitive comments just don't get creative people. My dad raves about all my quilting, my family fights over who gets the next quilt, the day care provider for my niece;s son ordered a bunch of things from me, then ordered more. My SIL's stepmother commissioned me to make her one, need I go on? Let the petty people rant, there are people who truly appreciate the artistry and uniqueness of a handmade quilt. I was called for jury duty once and we had to fill out a long questionnaire about ourselves. When I got called, the judge looked at my questionnaire and said "Quilter, huh? Hand or machine?" I replied "Machine, but both are good" He smiled and said "Yes they are and both take time and effort!" So, there, a real judge said quilting is good!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:47 AM

My SIL told me she just can't understand why I want to cut fabric in pieces just to sew them back together again. My reply because she knits socks all the time-why take your string and spend all that time making socks when you can buy them at the store!
Old 12-10-2011, 08:58 AM

I used to always HAVE to give home made gifts to family (due to a step-family that was large), and friends. My friends ALWAYS enjoyed the gifts. My step sibs always just hurmped!!! the gifts (but it didn't stop me year after year). Then one year I took a job at "The Mall" and was SOOOOOOO happy with my employee discount, that I bought ALL my gifts that year. I still gave a few home made gifts to my friends (but family got MALL gifts). You should have seen the LOOKS and COMMENTS when the family opened the gifts (NO HOME MADE GIFTS!!!!). My oldest step-sister in a big loud voice said "HOW COME I DIDN'T GET MY QUILT THIS YEAR!!!!!!". Each year I would make one large (husband & wife gift along with all the other home made gifts), quilt for one of my step-sibs. One of the others said what about all the home made candy and cookies???? We didnt get any of them only this (gift from the mall). On one hand I was sad, because no one liked the gifts that I had gotten them. On the other hand I was happy, because for the first time in 10 years they told me that they loved my home made gifts. Before the night was over, my oldest step-sister told me what I was to make them for the next year!!! (I got the last laugh on them - I only made gifts for the people who ALWAYS valued them - the rest get MALL gifts - my step family still remembers this and they have had a lot of fun with it over the years).
Happy Sewing
Snooks
Old 12-10-2011, 08:59 AM

about when you present a hand quilted baby quilt to a new mother and she says " did you see the one that so and so gave me? it's so beautiful, how's that for cutting you down to size!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:16 AM

I had someone look very closely at the thread painting and raw edge applique on one of my small "arty" wall quilts and remark that it was "too bad it's so messy... but I'm sure you'll get better after you've had more practice." I just laughed and said "if I wanted 'perfect', I'd have bought something made in China at WalMart" and quickly changed the subject.

Yes, we're still friends -- but I never mention anything about quilting to her.
Old 12-10-2011, 09:27 AM

How about when people say "I should LET you make a bunch of 'em for me so you'd get lots of practice"... Not!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:43 AM

Maybe she needs to file her toenails!!
Originally Posted by Dyan View Post
A woman once told me "you could snag your toenail on those stitches" I had showed her a quilt I had lap quilted, I was proud but she shot me down quick. I still hand quilt and Yep you could still snag your toenail...lol Family and friends do not complain.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:05 AM

One comment I get is "Quilting? Isn't that a dying art?" Usually I explain that there are about 35 million quilters worldwide, with about 21 million of them in the United States and we account for several billion dollars spent annually. That usually makes them stop and rethink their comment.

Though sometimes I reply, "Dying? No, I got a good report the last time I went to my doctor!"
Old 12-10-2011, 10:10 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by mlsa View Post
Hi Everyone

I'm new to this site but wanted to join in on this discussion. My daddy (when he was living) always taught us boys that "if someone could only afford to give us a safety pin, then we treat that safety pin like it was the greatest gift in the world because they thought enough of us to give us something." I've never forgotten that and try to live that way.

I've started making prayer quilts for family members that are sick or going through some type of emotional trauma and I tell them, "My quilts are not perfect but the prayers are."

David
David,
I love your post - you are so right.
Old 12-10-2011, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by nabobw View Post
How about the people who say they can buy a quilt like you are making for much cheaper at Wal-Mart.
My answer to that remark is "Then that is where you should buy yours".