Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam) >

For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam)

For those of us who are not exactly perfect (1/4" seam)

Old 07-17-2011, 02:34 PM

I have never gotten that perfect 1/4" scant seam. I use to try to make my pieces a little bit bigger and then cut them down to the right size.

Sometimes it is okay for things to not line up. I found that when that glaring part that doesn't line up is in the rest of the quilt, no one really notices it except for me. :wink:

I finally solved my 1/4 inch seam problem by buying a used 401 Singer sewing machine. (I also have the 403 Singer sewing machine.) This solved my problem because I can move the needle to the right from the center on either machine. Whenever I sit down to sew, I do a practice strip and then check the width just to see if my needle position needs to be moved to get that 1/4 seam.
Old 07-17-2011, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Glassquilt
If the difference isn't too big, I pin the corners & put the longer piece on the bottom against the feed dogs. I hold both ends and stitch slowly. The feed dogs grab the lower fabric and move it a little bit more than the upper fabric, thereby easing them together.
this is also the way i do it
Old 07-17-2011, 08:37 PM

I put the longer edge on the bottom when sewing the seam -- it eases in better that way for me. I do this even if it means sewing part of a seam one side up and part the other side up!
Old 07-17-2011, 08:56 PM
Power Poster

My seam allowance isn't a perfect 1/4" but it is consistent. If blocks don't match, I evaluate and if need be, I might resew a seam that is too narrow. (Mine are generally not too wide)
Old 07-17-2011, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by hopetoquilt
I stretch and ease if it is minor.
That is the glory of working with 100% cotton. It is much easier to ease than cotton/poly mix.

I've used both and see the difference in matching seams, easing, etc.

I always ease or stretch slightly. I figured everyone did this.

Also, like several said, put the longer piece on the bottom when you sew and it will ease in a lot by itself as you sew.
Old 07-17-2011, 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Homemother
You all have great answers. I am very encouraged and think I can finish the quilt top without too much fuss. Next time, I'll design the bargello to be offset like TonnieLauree's. It'll make all the fudging unnecessary!

Thank you!
Thank you! This works every time! :thumbup:
Old 07-18-2011, 02:49 AM

I had forgotten that trick....thanks for "the memory"! :P
Old 07-18-2011, 02:53 AM

Originally Posted by oksewglad
Originally Posted by Sandee
I pinch, I stretch & hope for the best....Then if it's for someone else I keep my mouth shut & no one has ever noticed......
Good answer :thumbup: :thumbup:

Another little trick is if one block is a little long, match the two pieces at the correct seams and pin. When you go to sew, have the long one on the bottom next to the feed dogs (if your machine is like mine and does not have even or dual feed) and the shorter block on top. The feed dogs will gently gather that extra fabric into place. Works most of the time depending on how off you are.
I meant to say this is the trick I did learn long ago...but forgot! Will put this back into practice....thanks!
Old 07-18-2011, 03:39 AM

I wiggle and jiggle and pray.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:02 AM

Originally Posted by Homemother
Ok ok ok. I've been working on my 1/4" seam and getting closer to an accurate and consistent seam. But....as it comes about, I continue to be a little off. :oops:

My question is, when you are trying to match seams and are a little off, what do you do? Do you take a pinch in near the end of the seam, do you stretch the fabric, do you close your eyes and pretend it's not there, do you let out the opposing seam?

Ladies and gents, if you are perfect and this never happens to you, please don't tell me so, because it will make me feel REALLY bad. :cry: ;)

I'm making my first bargello and, LO AND BEHOLD, some of my pieces are not matching up. Not sure how to proceed. Any hints?

THANK YOU QUILTING BOARD!!!
Well, in my opinion, the right tools make the work go much easier ie, I have the 1/4'' piecing foot with guide. That makes all my seams consistent. That is the important part, that they are all the same. When matching seams I do the old fold in opposite directions thing, and they nestle nicely. If I do occsasionally have a seam that doesn't nestle properly I open where those 2 seams meet and an inch or 2 on either side of it and then slide where necessary till the seam nestles and restitch. Rarely have a problem with that technique.