Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those who made IRONING BOARD COVERS I have a ???????? >

Those who made IRONING BOARD COVERS I have a ????????

Those who made IRONING BOARD COVERS I have a ????????

Old 01-12-2012, 07:16 AM

Here is another: http://m.youtube.com/index?desktop_u...?v=4LGbXou_u4c
Old 01-12-2012, 07:46 AM

Pink - I read that an ironing board shouldn't have too much "cush" (can't think of a better word). With respect to a standard ironing board, you want it thick enough so that the metal shapes (circles or wire mesh) don't get imprinted on your fabric.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:00 AM

I used muslin to cover warm and natural batting. I had a piece left over from the quilting I did on a ladies quilt top and it fit just perfectly.
Old 01-12-2012, 08:05 AM

if you are ironing clothing, you may want more cushion...i always use an old blanket, folded several times..but the ironing board in my sewing room is for pressing and that requires a harder surface...you need more than one layer of cotton, however, and the poly doesn't count, it's flat by now... and down piece anything you use for the padding, the creases and overlaps will show and keep you from getting a good 'finish'... i like denim as my last layer...cotton absorbs the moisture from the steam, and it's sturdy so it lasts a long time.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by pinkberrykay View Post
DH and i made and cover for my ironing board so I have a larger ironing surface. I am thinking I did not use the right materials. Heres what I did:

1/4 inch plywood~I dont think this is the problem
Poly batting pieced
Cotton Backing that I had left over from a quilt I made.

I don't feel like I have enough "cushion", I know I don't need a lot but I feel there is just not enough. Also, the backing material I used doesn't feel heavy enough.

What type of backing did you use??
What type of material did you use for the ironing surface?

Thanks everyone for your help.
Not too long ago there was a thread on this board about using a canvas drip cloth they had at Lowes or Home Depot to use as a cover for the ironing boards they had , it was quite inexpensive and worked well.
Old 01-12-2012, 09:52 AM

I had purchased an ironing board cover with the silver fabric on it. I don't like a cotton top - get's too dirty, soaks up too much water/steam/starch. My silver fabric top had a thin layer of foam on the back that was sticky backed - so it was easy to stick it to my board, wrap the edges around, staple them for good measure, and presto-bango I was done and I can just wipe a damp cloth over the top and it's clean.

The thin layer of foam is THIN, less than 1/4 (perhaps 1/8) and it has just a little give to it, which I like. I don't want a "soft" board for the fabric to "dip" into - I want my fabric to lay as flat as possible. Too much batting/foam and your fabric will sink into the batting. The surface should be flat and for the most part hard.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:28 AM

The only thing I would add is a layer of heavy tin foil before you put on the batting and a heavy fabric cover.
Old 01-12-2012, 10:44 AM

I love my large ironing board but didn't want it have to wash the cover. So... I cut up a bed sheet top, slightly larger than my board and then serged it all around. Actually I got 4 pieces from one queen top. I just use a few pins on the edge, slightly underneath, to secure it and then just change for washing. Works great for me!

For cushion, I used 2 layers of batting.

My DH used 1/2 inch plywood for my 24 inch by 60 inch board. It still bends a little. I think 1/4 inch is not quite strong enough, just my opinion. You will love the extra room you get using this board. Be sure to put rails on the bottom so is stays securely on you actual ironing board and doesn't slide around.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:13 AM

I started mine out with putting heavy tin foil down first. Then a layer of cotton batting then some cotton fabric I didn't really care for. Pulled it really tight and stapled to the back side. It now has another layer of fabric I didn't care for but needed a new cover. I don't like it mushy. I will keep putting fabric over it until I feel it's getting too soft. Then I might take some layers off and start again.
Old 01-12-2012, 11:30 AM

I used 1/2" plywood (24' x 60")
One layer of Warm and Natural cotton batting
One layer of Thinsulbrite
Covered with one layer of decorator fabric