Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those who made IRONING BOARD COVERS I have a ???????? >

Those who made IRONING BOARD COVERS I have a ????????

Those who made IRONING BOARD COVERS I have a ????????

Old 01-12-2012, 05:20 PM

DH made me a 24X48 ironing board that sits on top of my large cutting table. It is made with plywood and covered with some batting and the silver fabric I bought at Hancocks. I love it and can iron the full width of fabric at one time.
Old 01-12-2012, 05:52 PM

I layer, board, insulbrite, cotton batting, pre washed heavy muslin, and stapel it down tight. if your board is to cushie (is that a real word? LOL) it will not work as well.
Old 01-12-2012, 06:06 PM

Originally Posted by RonieM View Post
That is pretty much what mine is made out of as well. Whenever my cover gets really stained and I feel like I need a new one, I just put another layer of fabric on it. Over time it will build up and get cushy. If you want it cushy now, you could always use two layers of batting.

Good idea, here I thought I should remove the old cover, duh...I just cover it. Thanks
Old 01-12-2012, 08:15 PM
Power Poster

I use 3/4" plywood then layers of flannelette ... a piece of fabric that I didn't like.
Pulled it around and stapled it to the back
Then the top was a fun piece of cotton that I knew I'd enjoy looking at as I pressed!
Old 01-13-2012, 04:20 AM

Originally Posted by RonieM View Post
That is pretty much what mine is made out of as well. Whenever my cover gets really stained and I feel like I need a new one, I just put another layer of fabric on it. Over time it will build up and get cushy. If you want it cushy now, you could always use two layers of batting.
Fons and Porter recommend a really hard surface to press on. You get flatter seams with less cushioning. Makes sense to me.
Old 01-13-2012, 04:27 AM

I used terry cloth on mine for 'cushion' then covered it with sturdy cotton fabric
Old 01-13-2012, 05:34 AM

I used left over cotton batting and muslin for the cover. When it gets dirty, I just add another muslin top over it. Sometimes, I will add batting too if it seems too flat.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:21 AM

Poly batting is the problem, I used the cheap cotton batt from Joanns, then either use a double layer of muslin or Joanns sells the metalic material in either quilted or smooth (the price on this has skyrocketed). Most important of all is to stretch it tight and staple. You can make the top removable similar to iorning boards with a draw string but you really need to get the underlayers stapled firm.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:32 AM

My husband and I made the large ironing boards as a small business to sell to quilters in our area. I stapled (electric stapler) two layers of Warm & Natural to the board and then stapled Jo-Ann's drill fabric as a cover. Don't wash it as it is hard to remove wrinkles. I lay an extra piece of drill over the board in the area with the most use (pressing blocks) to prevent scorching. I've heard that the silicone cover/silver coated fabric makes the ironing area too hot.
Old 01-13-2012, 06:37 AM

I used insulbrite as one of the padding layers. Works fine. I put a layer of Warm and Natural over that and it isn't too puffy. Just right for me. I also used some fabric that I would never use in a quilt, so it didn't cost much. I love it.
Sue