Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Those yellow quilter's pins????? >

Those yellow quilter's pins?????

Those yellow quilter's pins?????

Old 01-17-2011, 06:59 AM

I love that quilt!!The one in the pic by your name. What is the pattern and do you have other pics of it?? Sue in TX---Thought this would show up by the post---Dani--I love your quilt in picture!!! Not sure everyone is talking about the same pins--but I'm assuming the original post is referring to the pack of 100 that you get at Joann's. I bought them at first too, but find the shafts are too thick--use them on corduroy,fleece,etc.---but never on quilt fabric-too thick and can distort where you have pinned. I prefer IBC silk pins.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:08 AM

I do like the longer pins, but some time I use them in some of my purses which are very thick and I bend them. (What blends them is I am putting them in the handle to hold it until I sew across it,) I like the thin ones for my quilt blocks but heavy ones for my purses/tote bags.
Old 01-17-2011, 07:33 AM

I love my flower pins and I just got some butterfly ones. I like the length because it lets me go in and out twice for a more secure hold. And the flat heads allow for a smooth lay on the LA. Plus they don't make your ruler teeter when rotary cutting. I've used pattern weights forever when cutting out sewing patterns and only use pins when I have small peices. :-D
Old 01-17-2011, 07:47 AM

I use them for binding and places where there is more than two layers of fabric. However, you'all have convinced me to buy glass headed pins next. Thx.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:05 AM

I'm so glad you started this thread. There's been a lot of good information here.

When I first started, I bought a bunch of packages of pins from Walmart. All different colored heads and all are big enough that my blind behind can see them. When I first started, I was really broke, so it was cheaper for me to buy wally world pins than anything else since I was spending all my extra money on fabric.

I find as I continue quilting, that doing some things because you don't have money isn't really worth it....like using scissors to cut instead of rotary cutter. Now, I find rotary cutter blades just as important as the fabric itself.

I went to a girlfriends house and I forgot my pins. When I used hers, I couldn't believe how nice they were to use. I pricked myself a few times because I didn't have to push as hard on them as I do my pins. She said they were glass head pins.

So, if I go to Joann's or Hancocks or an LQS, does it say glass head right on the package? How much are they, do you think, compared to the regular pins? I've never used yellow quilting pins or flower heads, just couldn't see spending the same money on a quarter of the amount of pins.

Quilter7x --- I totally love your pin cushion!
Old 01-17-2011, 10:55 AM

I've had mine for years, Since I've been on here, I've notice people use other things besides pins. Some type of little clip. (for bindings) I will say this, I bought some new ones last summer and they are nothing compared to some I've had since 1975... :) I tried the new ones in my denim quilts when adding binding, and pulled the heads off trying to pull pin out before sewing. So got out my old timer's they are great.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:46 AM

Originally Posted by mpeters1200
So, if I go to Joann's or Hancocks or an LQS, does it say glass head right on the package? How much are they, do you think, compared to the regular pins? I've never used yellow quilting pins or flower heads, just couldn't see spending the same money on a quarter of the amount of pins.
Look for IBC Glass Head Pins - IBC is the brand name - they're the very fine ones!
Old 01-17-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltswithConvicts
Look for IBC Glass Head Pins - IBC is the brand name - they're the very fine ones!

Thank you. Will do!
Old 01-17-2011, 08:55 PM

Originally Posted by sheila bee
Originally Posted by Holice
I sometime use them when machine quilting to add extra pins just before the pressure foot. Especially when the fabric looks like it will bunch. Have to be careful of the points.
There is a product on the market now that looks like plastic ear plugs that the "inventor" show how to use the longer yellow pins to baste and protect the point by pushing the ear plug on to it.
Otherwise they are useless to me.
NEED SOME OF THOSE LITTLE EARPLUGS AS I USE MY PINS AND GET STUCK A LOT where did u get them...WHOOPS..didn't know i was captalizing..someone said that was the same as yelling....lol
I've been stuck one time too many with the yellow headed, flat pins. They HURT ... and yes, I'm yelling ;-) But I still use them. Will have to buy some of the glass head pins.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:49 AM

I use T pins to load my HQ. When you get caught on one of those pins you don't soon forget. I've had them tear my skin. All other pin sticks seam minor to T pins. :-)