Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Thought I lost a block. Please tell me I'm not the only one who has done this

I sure have done that - but I can top your story!

Cut out fabric for 9 big blocks. Sewed 9 big blocks. Went to put them together, got to the last block and couldn't find it! I hunted high, I hunted low. I ransacked drawer and cabinets and then did it all again.

Then I spied my little wastebasket, which I keep on my right while I'm sewing. I dump threads and scraps in it, and had about 2 weeks worth of both in it - the night before. I remembered handing the plastic bag liner to my DH the night before so he could put it out with the trash.

You guessed right. I didn't check it for 'slippage', as in 'a block slipped off my lap and into the waste basket'. As luck would have it, the trash had already been picked up.

The block is gone! I patched together another block, but it isn't exactly like the others. It's a baby quilt, so when it's finished I'm going to call it "One of these blocks is not like the others..."

Blog Entries
    I suffer this affliction myself! In fact, I have a very dear friend who claims to be worse! So we call each other when something like this happens and help retrace steps over the phone. She thinks it is funny because I always end up asking, "did you check the freezer?" just because I actually found something I was looking for in the freezer once (not quilting related though!) If the object can't be found, I blame it on my cats and she blames it on pixies!

Blog Entries
    Glad you found it

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I'm sewing along on my blocks, chain piecing happily. I count them and wait-one is missing. I need 8 but only see 7. I look all over the floor, the ironing board, my chair for a good 10 minutes. Nothing. I am sure I cut enough for 8 blocks but maybe I messed up. I start gathering up the fabrics to cut the parts for another block, and lo and behold, there's my 8th block. Still under the presser foot. :roll:

in the land of fruits, nuts, flakes & quakes!
    Quote Originally Posted by cathyvv
    "One of these blocks is not like the others..."
    Priceless!

Blog Entries
    No, lol, you are not the only one.Finished piecing the scrappy top today. ,then started cutting my 2 inch strips for my border, forgot to turn iron on, get up & turn it on and then cut the 6 1/2 inch outer border. Sit down to join the strips, can't find my 2 inch strips,check the ironingboard,dining rm table , everywhere even the bedroom where i had previewed the quilt, bathroom? yes, even the bathroom,lol. Just about ready to have a hissy fit, all that running around plus the temper rising,I got hot,went to pull my hair up in a ponytail, yep you guessed it, I had thrown them over my shoulder so my quilt inspector couldn't mess with them while I was gone. Go ahead and laugh, I had to or have another fit :lol: See I told you ,your not alone.

Quote Originally Posted by charmpacksplus
    Well at least you didn't sew two that were stuck together. Am I the only one that has done that? :oops:
    I have managed that once - hunted everywhere for it - made another and then found it !!!!

Blog Entries
    Well at least you didn't sew two that were stuck together. Am I the only one that has done that? :oops:
    nope. you are definitely not the only one. :lol:

Blog Entries
    My brain likes to play little games like that with me. I personally do not think it is very funny, but my guild members sure get a chuckle out of it. It never seems to happen in the privacy of my own home, but always at guild.

Blog Entries
    Similar thing happened to me when I lost a piece of fabric. Searched high and low for days. I discovered it accidentally when I lifted the lid of my scanner!

Blog Entries
    I did the same...looked all over,made another block....then found the "lost" one.Had sewn 2 blocks as one.Duh is me!

I have done this a few times myself, but it's usually my cat that picks them up and hides them!

Blog Entries
    I have had that problem, more than once, but, I have found mine either stuck to the elbow of my shirt, or the pant leg of my pj's and I still don't know how this happened but, I was sitting on it.

I'v done that and some other odd things. This is the only place I will admit to such things. Love you folks here.

Blog Entries
    LOL. I have you beat! I thought I lost a whole 1/3 of a twin size quilt top. Turns out I THOUGHT I had sewed it together but had only made the blocks that far. I had set it aside for a while and didn't remember.
    I got out all my fabric and cut more blocks to start over. When I saw the amount of fabric I had left I realized I had not lost the other. I thought I was going to have to use what I had and the rest of what I had cut out and put a very wide border around it to finish.
    This was a little larger than twin royal blue/white bears paw and flying geese pattern that I made for my grandson. I posted pics online quite a bit back - I think in January/Feb.

Last time I did that I had dropped it and my dog came in and was laying on it. Looked all over, didn't find it till the dog got up and moved. Thought I was going crazier.

I thought you were going to say you found it pinned to the wall behind your sewing machine where you used it as a reference for your piecing. I've done that before!

Blog Entries
    I cannot stop laughing. I do this all the time. Yesterday I sewed the same block wron 4 times and finally laid it down and went to another part of the quilt and did the same thing. I know how you feel. I lost my scissors once and found them laying on the machine. lol

All the time LOL

I lost 2 the other day - they were on my design wall!

I so know what you mean. I'm making a quilt for dgd's graduation in June. She likes red and black. Well, I didn't have enough red and black in my scraps, so, I went to town and bought more fabric. Brought it home, washed and dried it. Later that afternoon, I was going to press it. Gee, where did it go? Looked on the ironing board, cutting table, waste basket, upstairs, downstairs, all over. Couldn't find it to save my life. The next day I had laundry to do. When I opened the dryer to throw the clothes in, there was the fabric. The one place I didn't look. I didn't look there because I was sure that I had taken it out and set it down. Now I always check the dryer.

Blog Entries
    Sounds like a typical day at my house!

Oh yeah! I always thought I was pretty good in math, but
    now I'm thinking differently. Seems I always make too many/
    If they are 6 or 8" they usually end up as hot pads.

Blog Entries
    LOL!!! Really needed a laugh this morning!!!

MNM

Quote Originally Posted by gale
    I'm sewing along on my blocks, chain piecing happily. I count them and wait-one is missing. I need 8 but only see 7. I look all over the floor, the ironing board, my chair for a good 10 minutes. Nothing. I am sure I cut enough for 8 blocks but maybe I messed up. I start gathering up the fabrics to cut the parts for another block, and lo and behold, there's my 8th block. Still under the presser foot. :roll:
    Good one! At least you found it. I just lost one when I was pressing them . Looked all over could not find it , thought I just goofed and did not make enough. Made another one, got all my blocks together and made my placemats. When pressing the finished placemats guess what I found on the floor. Yup,the lost square. Now I have one lonely square. Thinking about making 7 more and another set of placemats. If my sewing room was not such a mess I think I could keep this from happening. Glad you found yours in time. MNM

I do stuff like that all the time. Here's a good one. I am looking all over the office for some paperwork of a client that had just dropped it off. I am questioning the staff as to what I did with it, have they seen it, how could it just disappear,and then Sharon says what's that in your hand?

See ya.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 ... LastLast