Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thoughts on Connecting Threads?? >

Thoughts on Connecting Threads??

Thoughts on Connecting Threads??

Old 03-21-2014, 08:37 AM

The linty problem seems very much to be related to your machine. I had been using Connecting Threads cotton thread for a few years and never had a bad lint problem. I tried Aurifil for a year or so and wow was it linty. Isn't that strange? So, I think you don't really know how it is going to be until you actually try it on your own machine. I have a Babylock Espire. Before that I had a Janome. I didn't try the Aurifil on the Janome but the Connecting Threads thread was fine with my Janome as well as my Babylock.
Old 03-21-2014, 10:59 AM

My Viking Sapphire doesn't like anything except Connecting Threads. Love it.
Old 03-21-2014, 11:24 AM

It's the only thread I use for piecing. I have been quite happy with the thread as well as the price.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:24 PM
Power Poster

i bought several spools from them and i really like it.
Old 03-21-2014, 12:35 PM

Originally Posted by AngelinaMaria View Post
The linty problem seems very much to be related to your machine. I had been using Connecting Threads cotton thread for a few years and never had a bad lint problem. I tried Aurifil for a year or so and wow was it linty. Isn't that strange?
That IS really strange! I have a Janome 6600 that is my "standard" machine and I get all kinds of lint off CT thread (and also Robison-Anton thread, which I got a whole bunch of as a 'bonus' with my machine), but very little lint off of Aurifil. I guess experimenting is the way to go!

Fabrics definitely shed lint differently too. If I'm sewing flannel with CT or R-A thread, I need to clean my bobbin out constantly!
Old 03-21-2014, 03:07 PM

I've used their thread exclusively for piecing for the last several years. Yes, it's a little linty, but if you take care of your machine and clean it regularly it's not a problem - it's not like it fills up your machine with lint. I've always cleaned my machine between each quilt. I also use it on my Voyager - the regular cotton thread looks GREAT for quilting. I buy the big ol' cones of it for piecing. I normally use either a natural or grey for piecing everything.

Last edited by cindi; 03-21-2014 at 03:09 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 06:09 PM

I've yet to find a cotton thread that is 100% lint-free. So it's important to keep your bobbin cleaned before each project (and anytime I change bobbin or threads). I love all the colors - and especially the price of Connecting Threads thread and find that it is actually not as linty as others (and certainly not any worse). It really looks nice, and thus would highly recommend.

Buy a cone and see how your machine likes it!
Old 03-21-2014, 06:30 PM

I used CT thread for a long time and then my machine rejected it. I had to start using Aurofil, which was indeed sticker shock. Then one day I forgot my machine didn't like it and started using it again and I guess my machine forgot it didn't like it too, but it hasn't complained since.
Old 03-21-2014, 07:07 PM

I've ordered their "Essentials" threads and have been happy with the thread for the price. It is a little linty, but not any worse than Coats & Clark, and you get a whole lot more bang for your buck with the Essentials. I'll wind 2-3 bobbins full, after they're used up, then I clean out the bobbin case.
Old 03-22-2014, 02:57 AM

It's all I use. No problems.