Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread breaking when using Ruler Foot >

Thread breaking when using Ruler Foot

Thread breaking when using Ruler Foot

Old 08-02-2018, 05:27 AM

Default Thread breaking when using Ruler Foot

I am new to this forum and I hope that someone can assist me. I recently purchased a ruler foot and two (2) of Angela Walter's new rulers. Since I am hopeless at FMQ, I thought that the rulers would be more user friendly. Not so much. No matter what I do, my upper thread keeps on shredding and breaking. I have re-threaded, changed thread, changed needles, changed the bobbin, fiddled with the tension and even changed machines (I have a brand new Singer Quantum 9960 and a 20 year old Brother Pacesetter, both of which work perfectly for all other applications. I have googled and YouTubed myself into a frenzy and tried every tip and trick. The one suggestion that seemed to help a bit was Leah Day's video where she indicated that some machines don't like to go in all directions and I've noticed that my machine behaves a bit better moving from left to right and front to back, but it's still not optimum. I have a pile of projects that need quilting and I really don't want to have to pay someone else to quilt them.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:43 AM
Power Poster

I had good luck using a large needle when my thread kept breaking. I mean large like a size 100. What weight, ply, and type of thread are you using? I have a Singer Quantum and it was my first machine I used for machine quilting.
Old 08-02-2018, 05:47 AM
mac

I concur with Onebyone. A needle with a larger eye hole may help with the breakage. I would also check your top tension, you may need to loosen it just a tad.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:22 AM
Power Poster

Also, don't have a death grip on the ruler. You need to hold the ruler in place, but it still needs to be loose enough that you can still move your fabric. Same thing with the ruler pressure against the foot. Needs to be able to glide.
I'm assuming that you can FMQ in all directions without the ruler?
Old 08-02-2018, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

Welcome from Ontario, Canada.
If the thread is shredding at the needle, I think you are pulling the needle slightly to the side when you are moving the quilt. If the needle is pulled to the side\front/back etc, it will shread the thread against the throat plate. A stronger needle may not bend as much and you might have better luck.
Are you using Machinger or similar gloves to help move the quilt? The gloves help to grip your ruler and help move the quilt without having to press too hard. It is also helpful if you can adjust the machine speed so you can quilt slower along the ruler edge. Get out some practice squares and keep at it. You will get the hang of it.

Last edited by Tartan; 08-02-2018 at 06:51 AM.
Old 08-02-2018, 06:49 AM

Agree with using a needle with a larger eye, I was having this problem and use a 90 when using my rulers. The other possibility is you are pulling the material to hard as you move it. What PaperPrincess said is good advice and using a Supreme slider to help move is a must, if I forget before I start FMQ or using my ruler I really notice the difference and I usually will have thread breaks.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:10 AM

Wow - I am so pleased to hear all of your tips, so far. I have already switched to a topstitching needle with a large eye - a wee bit better, but not much. I am using a 100% polyester (Gutterman) all purpose thread, which I have used for normal free-motion quilting with no issues. On the advice of others, I tried different thread, Mettler, coates, and some other brands I had laying around, all with the same result. I will follow the advice and try not to pull on the needle and loosen the "death-grip" on the ruler.. I have been putting off the expense of the Supreme Slider, but I guess it's time to loosen the purse strings and spring for one. A question for OnebyOne... did you touch the tension at all on your Singer Quantum? I tried loosening it a touch and I had loops galore on the backside, so I moved it back to auto.
Old 08-02-2018, 07:16 AM

How is the thread wound on the spool? Make sure there is no drag on thread and it is coming off the spool easily.

Does your machine have a speed control? Try stitching slower.

Next try using a longer stitch length.

Is your machine stitching OK with other samples?

Did you use basting spray or glue on the quilt sandwich?

These can all factor in to machines mis-behaving. Hope that helps a bit.
Old 08-02-2018, 08:10 AM
Power Poster

I adjust the tension whenever I change to a different wt of thread and a different needle. I start with it where it is and adjust as needed. When doing decorative stitching I have to adjust it for the different stitches even when using the same thread and needle size. I don't mind adjusting tension control on any of my machines. It doesn't scare me at all. I had to get a new tension screw for my Bernina bobbin. I wore it out. LOL
Old 08-02-2018, 09:38 AM

Lower the foot closer to your fabric. It should just skim the fabric. If it is too high the thread will break everytime.

Good luck!

Watson