Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread cone question - sorry was in wrong topic before >

Thread cone question - sorry was in wrong topic before

Thread cone question - sorry was in wrong topic before

Old 01-15-2011, 08:47 AM

cool. I now have answers to questions I haven't thought to ask yet! love this site. sooooooooo, slow here so bear with me I can use the large cones even though they say serger on them?
Old 01-15-2011, 08:50 AM

The ones I use say serger thread. I just clean out my bobbin area often but do not find them at all bad to work with
Old 01-15-2011, 08:51 AM

Originally Posted by HappyQuilter
Whoops I put this in the wrong topic - sorry I'm still new to this blogging thing.

My DH bought me a thread cone holder for the large cones, but I don't know what kind of thread to buy or where to buy it. Should I get polyester/cotton blend or cotton for piecing and where's the cheapest to buy?
You can buy larger cones in several places. I can go to the Homesew web site or Newark Dressmaker Supply web site to buy cotton on large cones, I mean large cones. I usually get some dark greys and light off whites as these are good blenders for piece work. I also go to the Superior Threads web site for Bottom Line on cones as I use it a lot for machine quilting. I also Like the So Fine by John Flynn for all purpose quilting and piecing. Buying thread on a cone saves money. One thing....do not buy cheap poor quality, old thread. The thread keeps you seams together. If the thread fails everything will fall apart. I don't use serger thread for regular sewing either. Here is why, even with really good serger thread. It is meant to be used tripled or quadrupled in a seam and is there for not as strong as thread meant for seaming. Go to the superior thread site as he has tons of information on thread and tension settings in general, not as an advertisement for his products. He does have some great threads though. I highly recommend the bottom line thread for your bobbin. Also the So Fine is great for lint free sewing. If you are into embellishments or decorative stitching, the varigated is real nice as well. I think I love good threads as much as I like good fabrics. Even is you don't machine embroider, you will love quilting with some pretty threads.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:29 AM

Originally Posted by sewingsuz
I keep the emty large cones to make angels. This is ther body.
Do you have a picture of one of your angels? Would love to see it) I'm a visual learner - can ya tell?? :P
Old 01-15-2011, 09:33 AM
Banned

just saw your pics. My Janomes will not take Bottom Line top when it's in the bobbin.
Buy a cone and fill your bobbins. Bob also sell prewound bobbins "L" fits my Janomes perfectly.
http://www.superiorthreads.com
Old 01-15-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Patty Patches
Can you use cone threads on or with regular machines?I would like to use the big cones,more ecomomicial[sp].
I use only large cones on all my machines,Baby lock, sewing & emb. Brother & singer. I use the thread stands with all the machines.Also use them on the surger. Good Luck :-)
Old 01-15-2011, 10:14 AM

I have a wooden cone holder I made with a couple of spools and some metal parts salvaged from a broken spool holder someone was throwing away. see Picture. But I also saw this idea using a CD holder and a safety pin. I think it is a good free option, and it could be an option for a traveling cone holder, you could store supplies in it and when you need it TADA it becomes a thread holder...just a thought.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-160707.jpe   attachment-160708.jpe   attachment-160709.jpe  
Old 01-15-2011, 10:29 AM

Such great information gals........ thanks so much. I think I'm going to give this a try!! You all are terrific. I always learn something new each day....... but then of course, I'm spending way toooo much time at the computer when I really should be sewing.... hahaha.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:32 AM
mim

Originally Posted by kellen46
I have a wooden cone holder I made with a couple of spools and some metal parts salvaged from a broken spool holder someone was throwing away. see Picture. But I also saw this idea using a CD holder and a safety pin. I think it is a good free option, and it could be an option for a traveling cone holder, you could store supplies in it and when you need it TADA it becomes a thread holder...just a thought.
What a neat idea for the CD holder -- I have an almost empty one. I shall start using cones for my basic stitching.

Thank you

Mim
Old 01-15-2011, 11:04 AM

I have one of these.........http://www.paulsmetalpetals.com/