Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread cone question - sorry was in wrong topic before >

Thread cone question - sorry was in wrong topic before

Thread cone question - sorry was in wrong topic before

Old 01-15-2011, 05:56 PM

Location: Once an Iowan, always an Iowan, but now suburban Chicagoland

Originally Posted by Up North
I use the cone thread from Joanns it is $1.99 I have lots of colors works fine for me I use it for my Embroidery Machine too. I use gray tan or white for piecing.

Don't you find this a bit linty? but I guess you could clean the machine more...You use this to embroider?
Old 01-15-2011, 07:04 PM

Originally Posted by sewgull
I have used cone thread on my regular machine with no problem. You will need a thread holder, or put cone in a cup to keep it from falling off sewing area.
The cup idea works great, I have some spools that wont fit on the holder of my machine, and some kind person had posted this tip on another thread, I REMEMBERED and voila problem solved.
Old 01-15-2011, 07:09 PM

I've been a dressmaker for 40 years and I have made hundreds of bridesmaid dresses with the cone thread. I buy 4 cones for a group of bridesmaids...3 for the serger and 1 for the sewing machine. You can save a bundle using this thread! Happy quilting!
Old 01-15-2011, 07:47 PM

Curious...if cones are a better deal why would you buy the regular spools of thread?
Old 01-15-2011, 09:22 PM

I use the cone thread for all my piecing, serging, on my long arm and never have a problem with it.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:30 PM
Dee

I use Joanns for 1.99 and got some after new years for .99.
Old 01-15-2011, 09:57 PM

I am presently using Sulky 30 wt 100 % cotton quilting thread. It's large spools and I have 10 different colors and some multicolored. I use it top and bottom for piecing. It is a little more expensive but I like it. I have been making my first quilt, (over the past year) and have 4 blocks left to finish piecing the top. I'm new at all the threads and have also ordered a good bit (about $200) of different threads from Fil-tec. I have used some of it on other smaller projects and like it very much. Also ordered from Fil-tec prewound L bobbins and like them very much. I have a Husqvarna Viking and was told only to use Suky but my machine doesn't seem to mind the Fil-tec threads. There is more lint with Sulky than Fil-tec. I keep my machine very clean while sewing. I use some of the other brand threads in my Singer and Janome. When I used to sew clothes, I was told never to use Serger thread in any of my sewing machines, only use it in the Serger. Haven't got to putting a bed sized quilt together but hope to as soon as I finish the top which will be king size. I am overwhelmed by the size and am wondering if I will be able to quilt it. I don't have a LA but do have a quilting frame and may try to use it.
Old 01-15-2011, 10:48 PM

I bought from Connecting Threads and so far so good. I also bought from Joanne Fabrics few years ago and it wasn't working and so I finally spending little more money but, I am happy with the product.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:22 AM

Originally Posted by sik1010
My son made me this one from a paper towel holder that cost $1.00
How is that made? That looks like a good idea.
it just had a loop so he cut of a section and rolled the top with pliers.
Old 01-16-2011, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by kathidahl
I use the cone thread from Joanns it is $1.99 I have lots of colors works fine for me I use it for my Embroidery Machine too. I use gray tan or white for piecing.

Don't you find this a bit linty? but I guess you could clean the machine more...You use this to embroider?
Yes it is a bit more linty but not bad and it works great for my embroidery. My machine seems to be happy with it.