Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread keeps breaking! :( >

Thread keeps breaking! :(

Thread keeps breaking! :(

Old 01-09-2015, 01:24 PM
Power Poster

It looks to me as if your bobbin is not inserted correctly. Here is a Youtube video that shows how to insert a bobbin:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVAVs0R7cOQ

Caution: I do not have this machine and was unable to watch the video, so I can't be 100% certain the video is correct! However, most likely it is.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:31 PM

Thanks for the video Prism, but this has a weird side mount one. I 'think' I have it in right now, changed the needle - thread still breaking. 😕 I think I'm going to try local quilt shop who also does machine tune-ups, etc.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:31 PM
Power Poster

Also, you might want to look at the upper thread path. Are you going thru all 3 of the holes in the thread guide? This puts a lot of tension on the thread. Try using only one or two. I'm assuming you have also turned the tension knob down. What weight thread are you using? Is the needle in the right way?
Try just sewing a single layer of fabric.

Last edited by PaperPrincess; 01-09-2015 at 01:34 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:41 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by MollieSue View Post
Thanks for the video Prism, but this has a weird side mount one. I 'think' I have it in right now, changed the needle - thread still breaking.  I think I'm going to try local quilt shop who also does machine tune-ups, etc.
The side mounting doesn't matter. Your bobbin case is not inserted correctly. See the notch on the right side? That is where the "finger" on your bobbin case needs to go in. The latch should be horizontal. The following is a photo of a Juki bobbin, but yours should look the same when inserted correctly (scroll down to photo of bobbin in machine):
http://www.makingrebeccalynne.com/20...-tl-2010q.html

If you take it to your local quilt shop, anyone there who has experience with sewing machines should be able to show you how to do it.

Edit: When inserting the bobbin case, you hold onto the latch. As you hold onto the latch, line up the "finger" with that notch on the right, then insert the case. Once you let go of the latch, test the bobbin case. The finger should still be in the notch, and you should not be able to move the bobbin case around. You could still have the bobbin inserted incorrectly into the bobbin case (it matters whether the thread is coming off the bobbin clockwise or counter-clockwise). But, for sure, your bobbin case is not inserted correctly; hence, the lack of the "click".

Last edited by Prism99; 01-09-2015 at 01:44 PM.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:43 PM
Power Poster

It might be something simple so I would suggest to take it to someone who sells Brothers. I was amazed that the bobbin looks just like my Bernina.
Old 01-09-2015, 01:50 PM

'I' have experience with sewing machines. Just not this one... lol!!!! I know it has to be something so simple... I have the bobbin in right now, pretty sure anyways. I hope it's not an issue from having sat unused for so long.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:02 PM

Here are a couple of links that might help:

See pg 14 for pics and directions for loading the bobbin and bobbin case insertion
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/221...page=14#manual

and here's a QB thread fr 2013 that might help too:
http://www.quiltingboard.com/main-f1...s-t219233.html
Old 01-09-2015, 03:23 PM

Thanks so much everyone!! Yay - it's working now! Don't know if it's cause I finally got the bobbin in right, or if because I'm using the 'spool cap' now - never had to use one before! ����. Thanks again for all your help!! ����
Old 01-09-2015, 03:24 PM

Prism is on the hunt. I agree, it looks like the bobbin case is not in correctly. Show a picture of the bobbin now and we will see if it is actually in correct. When you put the needle down to pull the thread up from the bobbin, does it come up with little or no pull?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:50 PM

I am glad you got the machine working. I agree that it was probably the bobbin case not being put in correctly. My daughter brought a friend's over with the same problem. Just a quick second to put the bobbin case in and it ran like a top. Something so little can be so frustrating.