Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread keeps breaking! :( >

Thread keeps breaking! :(

Thread keeps breaking! :(

Old 01-09-2015, 04:01 PM
Power Poster

I don't use the three hole bar at the top of the machine. I use the first hole as a thread guide. Unless you are using a specialty thread you don't need that much tension to use all three holes. Also the thread should be behind the bar across the tension disc three times: coming down from the upper guide, going up to the lever, and back down again.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:07 PM

Originally Posted by MollieSue View Post
I'm finally trying to use machine I bought two years ago... and my upper thread keeps breaking at the needle!
I'm pretty sure I have it threaded right... It's a Brother PQ1500S. Any ideas please?
is the thread old? Have you changed needles?
Old 01-09-2015, 04:17 PM

Ladies, I was reading a thread on the Vintage Sewing Machines portion of this site. One of the ladies was having the same problem -- she realized that the relative humidity was extremely low (she lives in Canada) and the temperatures have been well below zero -- cannot say this is your problem, but you might check on the Vintage Machine section!

Jeanette
Old 01-09-2015, 04:54 PM

The lever on the bobbin should be parallel to the notch in the machine on the right looking at the picture. See the little indention. I think if you will put the threaded bobbin into the bobbin case, it should be positioned so it winds to the left. Insert a new needle making sure the flat side of the needle goes toward the harp (right side) and the thread is threaded from the left to the right. This is different from most machines.

Look in the manual on Changing the needle and bobbin insertion.

I have the Baby Lock equivalent.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:06 PM
Power Poster

Check your needle for any burrs or rust. You'll need a magnifying glass possibly. But that was the trouble I had. After cleaning and lubing and oiling. Mine started breaking. Not sure how long the needle had been in there. New needle no problem. if you don't have the manual try to download it. You may be able to get if for zip.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:13 PM

I'm glad you got it figured out. I have the same machine, it's my favorite of all my machines.

You might want to join the Yahoo group for your machine. There are plenty of people with lots of helpful tips in the group. There's even a service manual, if you should ever need it.

http://yhoo.it/1IzvSPx
Old 01-09-2015, 05:15 PM

Like Barb said, I bet the thread is getting caught up in the slit in spool? Check that. Brother sewing machines are the touchiesy machines I have ever come across, but I still like them, now that I know what to look for. When they say to use a certain thread and needle, and bobbin especially, they mean it. Good luck.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:20 PM

Thanks everyone!! My other new Brother, can't remember the model right now, is real finicky on wanting the bobbin thread 'just right'! Never had such issues with any other machine before! Thanks Peggi, I'll check out the yahoo group!!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:17 PM

I am so glad you figured it out! W hat a relief. You must feel so much better!!

Dina
Old 01-10-2015, 03:51 AM

Originally Posted by MollieSue View Post
I'm finally trying to use machine I bought two years ago... and my upper thread keeps breaking at the needle!
I'm pretty sure I have it threaded right... It's a Brother PQ1500S. Any ideas please?
Would love to hear how you like your machine after getting the thread issue straightened out. It seems like a great machine to use for quilting.