Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread keeps breaking! :( >

Thread keeps breaking! :(

Thread keeps breaking! :(

Old 01-10-2015, 03:35 PM

I change my needle frequently, especially when I am sewing/quilting 8 or more hours a day.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:18 AM

Change tension
Old 01-11-2015, 03:45 AM

The exact thing was happening to me over Christmas when I pulled out a machine I hadn't sewed on for quite awhile...

It turned out to be I had the thread going the wrong way inside the bobbin case. (had to flip the bobbin over so the thread fed out to the right from the top). You might need to pull out the manual and read that part, to be sure you have it in right.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by MollieSue View Post
[ATTACH=CONFIG]505382[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505383[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]505384[/ATTACH]

I have this machine and I don't use the middle thread guide. down the first hole, around the front and down the third hole. It came that way and I just kept using it that way. I hope that helps.
Old 01-11-2015, 07:00 AM

I have the Baby Lock equivalent and I LOVE it, too! I use it to do free motion quilting on all of my smaller quilts. I love using #100 silk thread for micro stippling on this machine.
Old 01-11-2015, 09:04 AM

Please don't give up! This is the first time I've added something to a thread, but I feel for you It's all great advice that has been posted.
"Unthread" your machine and go through every step slowly and you may find a problem.
If you google How to thread a Brother PQ 1500S, you will find some utube videos. It is different from a regular sewing machine in several ways. (The threader is the most unusual to me. I use a very basic machine!)

If the thread, bobbin, and new needle don't make any difference, you might want to download the manual. It is available at
http://www.manualslib.com/manual/22132/Brother-Pq1500s.html
You might need to make an adjustment. Hang in there.

It looks like a fun machine to use, once you get to know it! Happy quilting!
Old 01-11-2015, 10:12 AM

I'm finally trying to use machine I bought two years ago... and my upper thread keeps breaking at the needle!
I'm pretty sure I have it threaded right... It's a Brother PQ1500S. Any ideas please?
I looked at the manual...When you are holding the bobbin case in one hand, looking at the bobbin in the case...the thread should go counter clockwise (over the top of the bobbin and then down on the left side. Do you still have your manual? If not, here is a link: http://download.brother.com/welcome/...s_om01enfr.pdf
Read the manual over and over to make sure you are using the right needle, that it's in all the way, and that it's the correct size for your use. If you are going to quilt with it...I'd use a size 16 needle and if you can find them locally, a size 14 microtex or topstitch needle. Both of them have a larger eye to handle the heavier threads (40 wt embroidery or quilting threads). What do you have your tension set at? Again, check the manual. Are you doing free motion with the feed dogs down, or are you going to sew/quilt straight lines with feed dogs up? If you are doing free motion...it takes a bit of practice to not move too fast or slow to start..can easily break needles. Doing free motion...you need feed dogs down and a darning foot on the machine.
Old 01-11-2015, 10:23 AM

Thanks for the video Prism, but this has a weird side mount one. I 'think' I have it in right now, changed the needle - thread still breaking. 😕 I think I'm going to try local quilt shop who also does machine tune-ups, etc.
Makes no difference if side or front loading. You need to hold the little spring on the front open for the bobbin case to load. I have an older Brother that has to have the bobbin case spring tab open (locks the bobbin in place) to insert it...that's why you can't just wiggle the case back and forth to insert it properly. The video states this also (great video by the way). You have a great machine there!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:00 PM

Originally Posted by Prism99 View Post
The side mounting doesn't matter. Your bobbin case is not inserted correctly. See the notch on the right side? That is where the "finger" on your bobbin case needs to go in. The latch should be horizontal. The following is a photo of a Juki bobbin, but yours should look the same when inserted correctly (scroll down to photo of bobbin in machine):
http://www.makingrebeccalynne.com/20...-tl-2010q.html

If you take it to your local quilt shop, anyone there who has experience with sewing machines should be able to show you how to do it.

Edit: When inserting the bobbin case, you hold onto the latch. As you hold onto the latch, line up the "finger" with that notch on the right, then insert the case. Once you let go of the latch, test the bobbin case. The finger should still be in the notch, and you should not be able to move the bobbin case around. You could still have the bobbin inserted incorrectly into the bobbin case (it matters whether the thread is coming off the bobbin clockwise or counter-clockwise). But, for sure, your bobbin case is not inserted correctly; hence, the lack of the "click".
There is no finger on the bobbin case for this machine. I have one just like it. And it was hard for me to get it in place, due to it being on the end of machine. I finally decided to look at it before removing from the machine, and learned exactly where the latch sits when it is in place. That way, I knew how to hold the case when inserting it. It was easier after that but still hard to tilt my head just right to place it. Almost made me dizzy. :-) Front loading would be better!
Old 01-11-2015, 03:18 PM

Looking at my bobbin pic, it sure doesn't look like it's in right... yet it doesn't seem 'click' into place, no matter how I try to get it in there.
Is your uptake lever high enough? It does affect the location of the bobbin case and when the bobbin would click in.