Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thread snob sewing machines >

Thread snob sewing machines

Thread snob sewing machines

Old 09-20-2012, 01:20 PM
Power Poster

I only read about a dozen posts, seems there are a certain number of people always post the same thing about the high end threads. I wouldn't know them if they came up and introduced themselves. About all of my threads are Coats and Clark ot essentials from Connecting Threads. I have many,many spools of it and I use it all the time, I do quilt lots with a machine quilting thread. If I get lint of the thread I just clean it out. I brush out bobbin area with every bobbin change. Only takes a few seconds.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:24 PM

Wow, first let me say that I am not a thread snob. I just do not like to hear my machine making all kinds of noise. Second I am glad it was just the thread and not something major wrong with my machine. Third I probably just got hold of a bad spool. Oh, and yes I do know how to use a sewing machine. I have been sewing for a very long time. I also love the machine that I have. It works wonderfully.
Old 09-20-2012, 02:42 PM

Reading this thread, just added more questions to ask the dealer when I go sewing machine shopping in a few weeks. Thank you!
Old 09-20-2012, 03:10 PM
Power Poster

There are so many different types of threads available - it would seem to be limiting to not be able to use them.

(I AM talking about thread usually used in sewing machines - not baling twine or something like that!)
Old 09-20-2012, 05:06 PM

Just twp experiences to relate. About 10 years ago, I bought a $280 Brother from Wal-Mart. Since it had been 30 years since I had sewn, I took a basic sewing course from a local Pfaff dealer. I had brought C&C thread to the class and my thread kept nesting and breaking and the instructor fiddled with the tension and just couldn't make it work. Finally, he handed me a spool of Gutterman and that little Brother sewed just as well as the expensive machines.
2nd story: I have my mother's Singer 401A and she sewed with C&C exclusively because that's all she had available in the 50s. So of course, I thought I'd use the C&C thread on it. But no, it wouldn't work with the Singer either. This is just my suspicion, but I think C&C is not as good a thread as it used to be. If it were still the same thread, my 401 should have loved it. I too buy Gutterman or better because the last thing I want to do is fight my sewing machines: Pfaff, Janome, Singer. (Gave the Brother to my granddaughter)

Last edited by jeanharville; 09-20-2012 at 05:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 05:30 PM

Completely opposite to an earlier post, my Viking 875Q sews perfectly no matter what thread I buy. I have tons of colours of Connecting Threads Essentials and King Tut and Rainbows plus others. But no C&C because my previous machine ~ 1965 Elna Supermatic~ didn't like it. I also occasionally use Bottom Line in the bobbin.

I always clean the bobbin area when the bobbin needs rewinding. I think that makes a difference. If you don't care enough to keep your machine (any kind) clean, you can expect to have problems!

I highly recommend Husqvarna-Viking machines.

Old 09-20-2012, 06:08 PM

Originally Posted by HouseDragon View Post
Completely opposite to an earlier post, my Viking 875Q sews perfectly no matter what thread I buy. I have tons of colours of Connecting Threads Essentials and King Tut and Rainbows plus others. But no C&C because my previous machine ~ 1965 Elna Supermatic~ didn't like it. I also occasionally use Bottom Line in the bobbin.

I always clean the bobbin area when the bobbin needs rewinding. I think that makes a difference. If you don't care enough to keep your machine (any kind) clean, you can expect to have problems!

I highly recommend Husqvarna-Viking machines.

The only thread I've had problems with in a vintage machine is the 2 ply Masterpiece thread, the top thread breaks constantly. My newer Viking and old Berninas don't do that; the featherweights and all the others don't like it.

I have an 875Q also! We're currently using King Tut(932 Cairo) to quilt a twin size quilt, it looks wonderful. I'm using a turquoise 50wt. Gutermann in the bobbin, 90/14 top stitch needle. I clean out the bobbin area after every other bobbin change.
Sharon

Last edited by purplefiend; 09-20-2012 at 06:10 PM.
Old 09-20-2012, 06:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sewnoma View Post
ckcowl, I was told that C&C would be terrible in my machine too and they recommended Robison-Anton and they gave me a bunch of it to start off with....honestly I can't tell the difference, I think the R-A thread is just as linty as C&C. It just comes on bigger spools. LOL

My machine sews with whatever I put into it. I DO prefer Aurifil (especially for piecing) because it's so thin and low-lint and I can fit so much on a bobbin, but I have loads of C&C and A-R left; I tend to use that for quilting because it's a little thicker and I want the threads to show. I certainly am not about to throw it out, I must have miles of thread!

Connecting Threads brand is my new favorite thread behind Aurifil though. SO inexpensive, and seems just as good (if not better) than C&C or R-A, and tons of colors to pick from. Linty, sure, but it's not that hard to clean out my machine every now and then. I sew a lot of flannel so I have piles of lint no matter what anyway. I'm waiting for another CT thread sale and I'm going to buy a whole rainbow! I just wish they had varigated thread.
I have varigated thread from CT, not sure how long I have had it, maybe 1-2 years. You might email and ask about it, maybe they tried it and didn't get a lot of requests for it. The one I have is purple varigated.
Old 09-20-2012, 08:09 PM

Smile Thread snob

Originally Posted by BellaBoo View Post
C&C has started to sponsor many quilt shows and buy the big ads in the magazines. I've noticed more endorsement of C&C thread in the past two years then ever before. The oldest thread and the most profitable thread company can't have bad thread or it wouldn't still be in business. Industry wouldn't use it. That is just plain sense.
I use c&c all the time my machines dont complane at all I have a husq.varna D1 ,featherweight ,a singer 101 &15, a old viking from the 50's DottieBug
Old 09-20-2012, 08:42 PM

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
I don't think of it as snobbery as much as convenience and ease of use. For instance, I have a friend who will only use King Tut in her machines. She quilts a TON of charity quilts with her 2 longarms - her average is 30 quilts a month AND she works full-time. She uses King Tut because she has the tension set and balanced perfectly for that thread on both of her machines. She knows when she starts quilting she's not going to have to make any adjustments.
I've found that my LA has fewer problems and less breakage with King Tut in the top. I use Bottom Line in the bobbin and it works great. I've tried the Essential Pro and had a terrible time with it. It skipped stitches, had bird's nests on the bottom. I might have been able to adjust the tension, but it just wasn't worth it. I was disappointed, because I hate paying the prices for King Tut. I use YLI Soft Touch in my Elna. It's 60 wt and I really like a 60 wt for piecing. It will sew fine with other threads, but I just prefer it. I have a Kenmore that I also use the YLI in. My older Bernina is quite happy with a 50 wt.