Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Three Day Retreat.... >

Three Day Retreat....

Three Day Retreat....

Old 11-04-2018, 03:30 AM

I don't want to sound uncaring, but I as mentioned by others here in this thread, all retreats are different. Contact the folks running the retreat and ask them your questions . That will make your prep time easier and you will only take what you need. Have fun at the retreat!!

I often take one project to piece start to finish and I take my featherweight only. Take what feels good to you.
Old 11-04-2018, 04:38 AM

I just looked up your retreat.....wow! If I only lived a bit closer!

That being said, I go on 3-4 retreats a year and love them all. It is a great time to share ideas with others and get in a lot of sewing time.

You have been given great ideas by others so I'm echoing some and perhaps adding a few extra. Be sure to take a light/lamp, power strip, chair cushion, extra rotary blades, rulers in several sizes, machine power cord and pedal (these are often forgotten), several precut projects, small iron and pressing board, small cutting mat, thread in several
neutral colors in case you need it for the retreat project, bobbins already wound, machine feet, thread stand if you use cones, seam ripper(!).... A rolling tote for your machine and also a rolling crate for everything else is a nice help if you have them.

Label everything! Rulers, cords, scissors, rotary cutter, etc. Also take a sharpie in case you purchase something new.

Have fun! We'll all be looking forward to a follow up post! Happy early birthday!
Old 11-04-2018, 04:52 AM

It depends on the retreat. I've been to the ones at the stores, there you take your own machines and accessories. They also will sometimes ask that you bring your machine manual; especially if its a machine that they don't sell.

I've been to a couple of retreats at a hotel. Its all inclusive. They set up the classes differently both times even though it was the same company. The first time we rotated and got to take all of the classes. The second time I liked the most because we got to chose what we wanted. That was good for me because I was just getting back into garment sewing and my favorite teacher Angela Wolf was there and I took 2 of her classes and one purse making class. I love making purses because I like things that are different and I can't afford the unique ones from Coach any more. Even if I could, me making them gives me the most one of a kind that I like. Plus since I have the pattern I can hack it to make it look differently.
The one thing that I've learned, no matter what I take good scissors. Especially if its embroidery. They normally do have presentations. Ours were either before or after lunch. After 5 we were on our own. The 2nd retreat they offered things to do after 5, one of which was we could go back to our class room and at least the helper was there to help us complete our project. I loved going home with completed projects.

So yes, do ask questions. Make sure of what your going to make. I've been to a lot of them where the machines were included but we had to rotate meaning that with each project only one person was making something. So you would only have about one project or maybe two small ones per day. They did give us a cd with all of the projects on them. find out if the pattern is extra. The last one I went to instore, they had cut the fabric, it wasn't all cut the right size and then some of the fabric didn't come in so we had to wait a few weeks to get the rest of the fabric.
Old 11-04-2018, 06:11 AM

I went to a three day retreat in spring this year. I cut out three projects before the retreat, so I could just sew. I did get a lot accomplished. I did not bring an iron this year but wIll next year, with a small ironing pad so I don't have to jump up all the time to press a seam. We had some breaks, and sometimes the shops bring things to sell, in case you forget something. Lots of fun, learned a lot as well.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:02 AM

Happy Birthday. I like to take projects to retreat that are reasonable easy. Things that I won't have to study the directions. I usually spend time talking and visiting so don't want anything too difficult. Some retreats have classes and presentations, some don't. Unless there are vendors there or a LQS close by make sure you bring everything you need. I usually bring a surge strip with multiple plugs on it. I make up my own kits at home and do all of the major cutting before I get there. I bring a small cutting mat and ironing mat and iron. If you forget a ruler or something, someone will have one you can borrow. Our retreat has a snack table to share. Have fun.
Old 11-04-2018, 01:05 PM

I always put a backup sewing machine in my car for retreats. It's usually my featherweight. Never needed it but it's great insurance. One year, the gal who is usually the life of the party (great gal and great quilter) had machine troubles so just stayed in bed. I got my featherweight and put her back in business. Wouldn't have been the same without her!
Old 11-04-2018, 06:54 PM

I pack a rolling weekender suitcase with projects and quilting necessities. Bring medications and I’ve heard of retreats that give attendees a form to fill out with emergency info then place it under each machine. I take a brown lunch bag for a scrap catcher, they stand up nicely or it can be taped to a table.
Old 11-04-2018, 07:40 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by tranum View Post
........retreats that give attendees a form to fill out with emergency info then place it under each machine............
Good idea!
and with it under your machine, the info could be kept private, unless it truly was an emergency.
Old 11-04-2018, 11:13 PM

Here's a checklist you will find very helpful. It has prevented me from forgetting some very important items!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]603483[/ATTACH]

I recommend bringing a project that you've already cut out. That way you won't have to wait in line to use the cutting station. I second the idea of bringing your own iron and small pad (I made one similar to the tv tray ironing pad, it has a lip that clamps onto the edge of my worktable at retreat, so my sewing station makes an L). Be aware that some locations are limited on power, so too many irons can be a problem.
Attached Files
Old 11-05-2018, 05:17 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Peckish View Post
............I second the idea of bringing your own iron and small pad (I made one similar to the tv tray ironing pad, it has a lip that clamps onto the edge of my worktable at retreat, so my sewing station makes an L). Be aware that some locations are limited on power, so too many irons can be a problem.
Great list Peckish ... but you really do need to add the much needed chocolate to that list!
It's easy to forget the machine cords etc., so good to have them on the list.

Could you show us a picture of your clamped ironing station?
I'm curious how you have it made, so that the clamp will hold it steady as you press.

Another idea would be to make a double sided board with cutting mat on one side, and ironing pad on the other. Even if small, it can save a lot of trips to the cutting and ironing stations for the little bits of work. Yet it wouldn't take a lot of space at ones machine.