Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Three Day Retreat.... >

Three Day Retreat....

Three Day Retreat....

Old 11-02-2018, 04:51 AM

Default Three Day Retreat....

I've never been on a quilting retreat and there is one nearby on my birthday at a really nice Inn!
I am thinking of going, but don't know the first thing about them except what I've gleaned from people here.

I know you take your own machine, but what about your iron? Extension cords?

I would have to have a project that I was putting together on my domestic. I guess, because I can't exactly drag my midarm anywhere....so I won't be able to work on any of my big projects. I'll have to plan for wall hangings or such?

Do you just sew the entire three days? Or are there usually presentations of new techniques and that sort of thing to break it up?

What else do I need to ask the shop before I lay down my dollars?

Anyone from Southwestern Ontario want to go???? Feb 3/4/5 in Woodstock at the Elmhurst Inn. Cherished Pieces is putting it on.

Watson
Old 11-02-2018, 05:05 AM

I've been to several and they are all different. I try to bring my UFO's. One weekend I went to had a class, which was nice, most don't. You get to do whatever you like, the time is yours, sew, nap, shop, eat, whatever. What to bring? Bring snacks, drinks, fruit, or meals, most rooms now have refrigerators. Bring many projects and extra fabric, you never know what you feel like sewing on. Sometimes you end up making what others are making. Bring all your sewing tools and most important, either bring your own chair, or, I bring a stadium cushion to put on a chair to sit on. It brings you up a bit and helps so much with your back. The first time I went away without proper seating, I walked around with a crooked back for a week. Bring you swimsuit if there is a pool, its a great way to relax after sewing for many hours. The trip is a great way to meet others with the same interest. Have a wonderful time, I always do.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:27 AM
Power Poster

I would call the shop to see if they had anything planned to do or ask them what others bring.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:31 AM

I went to a couple put on by Nancy's Notions a few years ago. We all brought our own machines, but irons and ironing boards were provided. I brought along an extra power strip just in case and someone else ended up needing it, so I'm glad I had it along. We had 1 morning class and the rest of the weekend we worked on that project. Breakfast was provided by the hotel, but for other meals we formed groups and roamed the town. It was a lot of fun, met some nice people, got some great ideas and would definitely do it again.
Old 11-02-2018, 05:47 AM

Cherished Pieces should be able to give you more info especially about availability of irons and ironing boards as well as cutting stations. And also about any presentations or techniques that will be taught. There should also be info available about meals, shared or single accommodations, nearby amenities etc.

The first retreat I went to, it was nose to grindstone because I thought it was all about how much you could get done. I learned that it is also a social event, a chance to meet people who share your passion for fabric. It is definitely worth taking the time to see what other participants are working on and to ask/answer questions. I found it was easiest to take a couple of smaller projects--bags, wall hangings, table runners are great.

Often there are games and usually door prizes or some sort of draw. Strip poker is a favourite. (a round the table game played with special dice. Jelly roll strips of fabric are involved ) There is usually some sort of Show and Tell as well.

Along with your sewing machine, take your usual supplies as well as an extension cord. Label everything!! I hope you decide to go. Unfortunately it is a little to far and out of my price range or I would love to join you.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:05 AM

Wow, looks wonderful! Some of your questions are answered on this link. https://www.cherishedpieces.com/february-retreat
Old 11-02-2018, 06:10 AM

What fun, I love retreats and three days is perfect. Though, I usually don't sew much the 3 days. The retreats I have been on have had a national teacher teaching a pattern. The last one had Marti Michel, it was great. One cool idea I saw was a quilter who had fun business cards made up to hand out to new friends. Just a reminder of emails, phone numbers and cities. Take your own chair or at least a cushion. I like to work on precut projects and get them done. Something that is alot of sewing, not much cutting and not complicated. Be prepared by having hand sewing if you like to do that. Most of the ones I have seen don't want anyone to bring an iron. The are huge power draws. And there are ironing stations set up. I have seen mini irons next to people with mobility problems. Take chocolate to share. You'll enjoy it more and make lots of new friends.
Old 11-02-2018, 06:35 AM
DJ

I hope you go and have a great time!

My advice would be to take a small iron with an ironing surface even if they provide them. A friend of mine went on a quilt cruise. They were not allowed to bring their own irons. She said that there was often a wait at the ironing stations.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:03 AM

I've been to a couple now and I try to plan on working on up to 3 projects in case I get tired of one and I can work on another. I get all the cutting done ahead of time if possible, keep each project in its own tote. Usually they will provide cutting tables and ironing stations for you to use. Bring your own rotary cutter, rulers, extra needles in case you break one, thread for each project, scissors, straight pins and anything you normally use when sewing at home excluding the iron. I bring my rotating cutting mat as its fairly small and I can cut smaller items on it instead of taking it to the cutting table.
Old 11-02-2018, 07:48 AM
Power Poster

Watson ... ♪♪Happy Birthday to You♪♪
Sounds like a perfect way to celebrate your special day!
What a wonderful retreat location!
No, I have never been there for a retreat, but have been for other occasions.
Definitely a Deluxe Destination!

I'm sure that Cherished Pieces does it all up quite well and with extra add-ons.
I do love their store, more so their people ... so am sure that their retreats are the best!

Ditto to others, the best advice is to "ask". No question is ridiculous.
And never too many questions when you are a newbie to what they offer,
as there are so many variations as to how retreats are run and what is offered.

For sure, I'd ask about how much space you would have ...
i.e. will you have a banquet table to yourself?
Or are they crowding two or even three to one table?
(yes, I have seen three scrunched together on one! ... eww ick! )

Likewise, ask as to what type of a table and the seating.
I have stacked chairs to get better comfort. Also have taken extra cushions for booster seats.
I hear that some now take their own office chairs for adjustability.
Like others, this is probably the worst thing about retreats and classes for me ... the discomfort!
And what often turns me away from even considering going.

Often times, retreats offered by stores have a mini-merchant market, for spontaneous buying!
Sometimes a retreat project kit is available, so you can start something new!!
You're close enough to the store, that I bet they have someone going back and forth,
for any extras that are needed.

Most likely, I'd take what I need/want to work on with my project "kitted", with everything pre-cut.
Then I'd have some extra supplies, in the car, that I could grab if needed.
Or alternate projects to switch to, if I was just not in the zone for the one I thought I wanted to do!

..... and remember to label label label, everything and then some!
(eg. machine cords, foot pedals, etc.are easily mixed up when everyone is dashing to pack up)