Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thrift Store Fabric >

Thrift Store Fabric

Thrift Store Fabric

Old 03-04-2011, 03:10 PM

I never find any fabric or quilting/sewing items at all. And, I went to 3 different Thrift shops this past weekend.
Old 03-04-2011, 04:42 PM

I just buy cotton prints for quilts.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:04 PM

I use the scraps that I can. Then I think of ways to use the balance of material. Maybe you find a piece perfect to use as a base for a crazy quilt.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:04 PM

I use the scraps that I can. Then I think of ways to use the balance of material. Maybe you find a piece perfect to use as a base for a crazy quilt.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:14 PM

my DIL finds buttons and other notions for me..She loves to shop...never finds fabric ...
Old 03-04-2011, 05:29 PM

I think our thrift stores here are expensive also. The community I moved from was a more affluent community but their thrift stores charged less. I don't understand that. I have purchased matching cotton curtains and a dust ruffle for a bed that gave me yards and yards of fabric for about $5.00. I also purchase ladies dresses with gathered skirts, men's shirts, and womens blouses for about $2.50 each when I can find something I think will work for quilting. I estimate that it takes over a yard of fabric to make either and I can't purchase fabric for that amount. I seldom find yardage however I did find a heavy cotton green and white stripe that I am going to use to cover the porch swing pads with here in a month or so. That should brighten things up out there since we have green shutters on the house.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:31 PM

I have found wonderful "Fabric Finds" at our local Savers and also at Goodwill's. I always wash all fabrics as soon as I get home. I just love finding these treasures!!

My daughter used to make fun of me until I went to visit her and drug her with me to a couple of Goodwills. Well low and behold, she found a bunch of clothes (some even to take on her upcoming cruise). She doesn't laugh at mom anymore!! Ahhhhh..... paybacks!!
Old 03-04-2011, 05:39 PM

I sew with it - quilts, table runners, wall hangings, whatever I want to make. I usually pass on the really thin cheapy fabric but you'd be surprised what you find sometimes.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:43 PM

Originally Posted by mudose8
I received a bag full of fabric cut into 5" strips from my SIL . Very pretty, but came from a smokers home!! Had set them in garage for about 9 months thinking that would help to eliminate odor. WRONG! Then I washed them in soapy water with white vinegar, rinsed well and hung outside to dry. Worked perfectly, smell totally gone.
My grandfather was a cigar smoker and although a smoker herself my mother couldn't stand the smell of the house after he would leave from one of his visits (usually every Sunday for supper). Anyway just as soon as grandfather was out the door mother would get a dish towel that she had soaked in vinegar and wrung out. She would walk through the house flapping and waving that towel until it was almost dry. It worked every time and the vinegar smell didn't last but a few minutes. A few years ago Mother moved into a care center and I inherited many of her things. I couldn't believe how yellow and smelly everything was. Then I remembered the vinegar magic and washed everything before bringing it into the house (we are not smokers).
It worked like magic! Fabrics that had previously looked tea dyed were white as snow and nothing had that musty smell. Even the tea cup collection that she had on the knick knack shelf was yellow. I threw some vinegar in the dishwasher and they look like brand new.
Old 03-04-2011, 05:48 PM

I never seem to find anything to do with quilting or sewing. Sure wish I did. I've donated plenty though.