Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Throwing away a project >

Throwing away a project

Throwing away a project

Old 09-01-2018, 08:46 AM

I have never thrown UFOs away, I set them aside, hoping for a good fairy to come and turned them into masterpieces. Of course it never happens but I have gone back to them after time and repurposed them or taken them apart to incorporate the blocks into other quilts.
Old 09-01-2018, 10:32 AM

Since I make donation quilts and live on a very strict budget, it saddens me to think of anyone throwing away fabric because they don't like the project. I would be happy to have whatever it is to repurpose, as I'm sure many others on this board would be.
I certainly understand not finishing something you don't like, but donating it makes so much more sense than trashing it. You can donate to any thrift store, pass it on to a friend, or even offer it up here on the board. I'm sure someone would be happy to get it.
Please rethink next time any of you feel like trashing a project. Remember that there are lots of us out here who are doing good things making donation quilts of different sorts, and your trash could be our treasure!!
Old 09-01-2018, 10:54 AM

Life's too short to worry about the ones that don't turn out!
Old 09-01-2018, 11:21 AM

Originally Posted by grannie cheechee View Post
​Been there done that!!!!
Me too. I started a minuscule paper pieced quiltlet that had some pieces less than 1/4”x1/4”. I got the first section done and was so happy that it looked good, but when I tried to press it all those little bitty areas started to fray away from the seams! Arrrggg! I threw it away, and put it in my “find a miniature maker to gift it too” pile. For got I had it until now. The pattern made three copies, and I still have two full patterns and instructions if someone wants it, PM me and I will invest a stamp to get it to you. Lol. I think the finished quilt is 12”x15”?
Old 09-01-2018, 11:48 AM

I once heard a woman speaker at a sewing event say that not every project has to be finished. Some just aren't worth it because of the frustration, not liking it, whatever. She gave us all permission to just toss things. I liked that.
Old 09-01-2018, 01:57 PM

It's rare but yes I permit myself to pitch a project. If it isn't good enough for me it isn't good enough to donate. If there is no plan B or salvaging out it goes. My project, my rules.
Old 09-01-2018, 04:22 PM
mac

Originally Posted by PatriceJ View Post
trash is trash.
there's a place for it.
and that place is not the donation bin.
I hear what you are saying, Patrice J, and I agree, but I didn't think that we were talking about 'trash' items. Just something that didn't work out the way we intended or something that we lost interest in or was too difficult and was way beyond our experience level.

I am always amazed what some quilters will put in the trash can after attending a class. Perfectly good fabric or batting that is very useable (as long as someone doesn't throw their lunch or coffee on it, that is). My favorite pastime is making scrap quilts and I just say thank you for the extra fabric.
Old 09-01-2018, 08:35 PM

One of my old uglies is a cat bed, too. Miss Lizzie is very particular about her bed. She will shun it if it goes more than a few days without washing, but she really doesn't mind that the blocks aren't lined up perfectly and the fabric choices are questionable and the beginner fmq it terribly erratic.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:00 AM
Administrator

i give all my scraps to a friend who loves them.

scrippy-scraps (anything smaller than 2") used to go into the dog-bed bag.
then we found out that stuffed dog beds were actually harmful to many shelter dogs.
they chew through the top, eat the stuffing, and then get all sorts of ailments - too often fatal.

the only thing i throw out is something i know can't be scrappified or that will not survive a trip through the laundry. the one nearly finished quilt i tossed fell into that category for me.

i once spent hours and hours resizing a pile of ill-made half-square triangles and squares others had miscut.
now they mock me from the project bag. but they will get used. someday. lol

Last edited by patricej; 09-02-2018 at 12:06 AM.
Old 09-02-2018, 12:28 AM

I tryed to make a shirt not good , threw it out never tried it again .