Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thumb Versus the Sewing Machine >

Thumb Versus the Sewing Machine

Thumb Versus the Sewing Machine

Old 05-22-2011, 08:02 AM

I did it on a treadle machine. My index finger. It went through the nail and out the other side and the needle broke. My mom pulled it out, ran cold water on it (that was the cure for most everything back then) and put a band aid on it. I have a lump in the pad of that finger. Probably scar tissue. I never want to do that AGAIN!! Hope you get better and back to sewing soon.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:09 AM

Not only have I sewn my fingers several times, I once ran the rotary blade between my thumb nail and my thunb! Talk about a painful situation! At the hospital they must have asked a dozen times HOW I managed to cut my thumb in such a manner and worse....they were wondering how to sew it up! They finally sewed on each side of the thumb nail and butterflied the nail tip down towards the back of my thumb. Talk about painful! You can bet I'm much more observant and careful now!
Old 05-22-2011, 08:23 AM

I've done it twice with 2 different machines. Once in each forefinger. Luckily, each time, it was through the fleshy part and was able to get the needle out without any problems.

However, I had to have stitches in my right thumb because I sliced it with a rotary cutter. That required a trip to the emergency room with my neighbor and my two year old at the time (23 years ago). No retractable blades then. I guess that's why a couple of people have developed gloves to wear for rotary cutting. Still haven't bought one of those.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:29 AM

Ouch! Doing that has always been a fear of klutzy me.
Old 05-22-2011, 08:35 AM

As a matter of fact, this is one of my favorite stories. I took 5 years of Home Ec back in the mid 50's and I was home sewing a school project when I impaled my thumb. The needle wouldn't budge up or down. Now I am really stuck so I started yelling for Grandpa to come help me. Here he come slowly and ended up getting a pair of pliers and getting the needle out of my machine first, and then out of my finger. My Grandpa was dying of cancer and got out of his sick bed to help me. A week later he passed away. Grandpa lived with us from during WW2, after my Grandma died, till 1959. He was the love of my life, right up there with my hubby. For Christmas that year, he gave me two Beacon blankets for my hope chest. That was 52 years ago and I still have them. Good blankets. I am not sure if Beacon is even in business now. Jan
Old 05-22-2011, 09:10 AM

not my thumb but I sewed the edge of one of my fingers once.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:22 AM

Oh you poor thing! I have come super close to doing that. Owie OWIE!! I sure hope you have a speedy recovery, that is a horrible finger to have a wound in.
Old 05-22-2011, 09:25 AM

Being a medical assistant by day, I'm wondering if Mya Siam has had a tetanus shot within the last 10 years. If not, it might be a good idea to get one especially with a puncture wound.
Old 05-22-2011, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by donnajean
I just read on QB the other day when someone else did the same thing.
Ditto! Sorry for your mishap. I did that several years ago. Isn't that the sickest feeling when that happens?!?! :cry: :cry: :cry:
Old 05-22-2011, 12:27 PM

OH YES!! many times. I was a factory seamstress for over a decade and those machines go very fast. I was running a double needle coverstitch machine for most of those years and I sewed my finger plenty of times. I had thread in my skin and broke the needle off in my finger. One time in hit the bone right through my fingernail. It split the fingernail vertically and I was in agony for a month!