Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Thumb Versus the Sewing Machine >

Thumb Versus the Sewing Machine

Thumb Versus the Sewing Machine

Old 05-22-2011, 05:22 PM

Back in the old days :-D My little sister is only 4 yrs older than my son. I was making baby quilts and she was helping when I lifted the foot to rearrange the quilt she stepped on the pedal the needle went through the middle of my thumb and it broke off. I felt so bad for my baby sister she cried so hard -even harder than I did She just turned 41 in January and she's still afraid to be around a sewing machine
Old 05-22-2011, 05:23 PM

I can only imagine your pain. I have not done that...yet...but my mother did years ago. She was sewing costumes for church program, the needle went through the nail on her left thumb and broke off just high enough to be able to catch hold of it and pull it out with pliars. She did not sound like a church lady when that happened. It is a funny story...now. Believe it or not, she bandaged her thumb, asked for forgiveness for her slip of the language and finished the costumes before the next morning. She was a tough lady. Wish I were made of that kind of "stuff".
Old 05-22-2011, 05:36 PM

Yes, I had a dumb attack in February and sewed my index finger. It was ok afterwards but I had to go to the doctor the next day for something else and she made me get a tetanus shot because it had been 10 years.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:44 PM
Power Poster

I had the needle go through my finger once. My fault for not thinking/looking. I know I won't let that happen again.
Old 05-22-2011, 05:49 PM

Yep, been there and done that. Right through my right index finger. Had to unscew the needle and went to the ER with the needle through my finger. They had to use pliers to pull it out. Hurt worse than when it went in. Then they gave me a tetanus shot, which is when I found out that I am allergic to tetanus shots. The needle accident happened on a 1954 Singer Slant-O-Matic. I'm a lot more careful now:-)
Old 05-22-2011, 06:33 PM

I've not sewed either thumb or finger lately but did both frequently when I was a girl sewing on my mother's old Singer treadle. I quickly learned not to jerk my digit away but to turn the wheel backwards to lift the needle out of my thumb or finger.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:13 PM

Originally Posted by Mya Siam
Am I the only careless person out there? I was sewing on an old Singer 31-15 the other day and I heard a slight bang. When I looked down there was the sewing machine needle inside my thumb and the presser foot was sitting on top of it. Yes, I managed to pull the needle out, but needless to say, I will not be turning on that machine for a few days. Just wondering if any one else has impaled themselves while sewing?
YUP! I've done it and so did my grandson. The needle broke off in his digit and had to be probed to get it out. I think some sewing machines are inhabited by demons! froggyintexas
Old 05-22-2011, 07:28 PM

There is a story of a woman who worked in a garment factor who ran her finger through and was sent to the infirmary. While the doctor there treated her he spoke to her about God's love for her. She had to return to the floor so their time was very short. She craved to know more about God and why he loved her so that he sent his one and only son to die for her sins. The only one who had ever taken the time to tell her about God was the Doctor and the only way she could speak to him was as a patient so she intentionally ran her hand into the machine. For those of us who have managed to do this accidently, the thought of intentionally doing so is terrifying. Her need to know God was far greater then the intense pain of running her hand through the machine.
Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Yep - not once but twice. You'd think I'd learn the first time ! OUCH
Old 05-22-2011, 08:42 PM

I have done it a couple of time in the past, just not in recent years. You sew enough years and it is inevitible. Mine luckily were very miner- just the edge of my finger. I try to be more care these days.