Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 03-11-2010, 04:51 AM

Oh lovely. I like the dramatic effect of using contrast in your layout.

If you shape the black streak more into an S, that will soften it.

The strong contrast you are using (light yellow blocks next to black, upper right corner and left middle especially) emphasises the black shape, which is cool. Now this might contribute to you seeing it as "bulky" - perhaps play with letting the black "flow" out into the other blocks a bit more, just to see which you like. (I like your approach right now, this is just a suggestion in case you are seeking to change it!)

All that said, one thing I've been finding with the layout of these is that the more I get my head out of the way and just play (with relaxing music on when I can), I end up with a layout that pleases me.

And it looks great already! Looking forward to seeing more!! :-D :-D
Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 AM

Originally Posted by STAR
don't feel bad Kyia I just finished sewing my block halves last night!! I still have to finish pressing the last pile and still try my layout!!!!!!
I just finished pressing yesterday and still need to find somewhere to do my layout. Have grandbaby this weekend, so not looking to get much more done until next week :cry: :cry:
Old 03-11-2010, 06:30 AM

Star I love the colors in your blocks. What if you reversed what you are doing. Use the black overall and the pink and yellow making a diagonal S across the black? Just another idea for you to try. It is fun moving them around and getting just the right layout you like isn't it? Can't wait to see your final layout. Enjoy playing with your gorgeous colors.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:41 AM
Power Poster

And I would be tempted to toss the readdy dark ones right into the corner and then put yellow cascading down the one dise and pink down the other so the truest pinks and yellows are at the ends. Just a suggestion.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:44 AM

You are ALL doing such a FINE job!
A credit to your teacher and to each of your desires to make the world a better place by self-improvement and practical application of color .... (just had half a chocolate bar - - do you think it has colored my perception of an otherwise gray day??) ;) <wave>
Old 03-11-2010, 07:46 AM

What are you gonna do with the other half of the chocolate bar Omak? {{wave}}! :lol:

Star, I'm so new to the concept of the hexagon quilt that I can't offer any suggestions, but I'm very interested in seeing what you will do with everyone else's suggestions. I have a feeling you're going to lay out this quilt many times before you begin any sewing! :D
Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM
Power Poster

I am thinking that if she hasn't eaten it yet that she should give it to me. I could use it right about now.
Old 03-11-2010, 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by Quilter7x
What are you gonna do with the other half of the chocolate bar Omak? {{wave}}! :lol:

Star, I'm so new to the concept of the hexagon quilt that I can't offer any suggestions, but I'm very interested in seeing what you will do with everyone else's suggestions. I have a feeling you're going to lay out this quilt many times before you begin any sewing! :D
save it for later? <wave>
don't lay the quilt out many times ... lay it out, sew it together and make another one! I am really addicted to watching all yous quilty persons putting your projects together! <g> <wave> ;-)
Old 03-11-2010, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by cutebuns
I am thinking that if she hasn't eaten it yet that she should give it to me. I could use it right about now.
Well, come on over, girl!
Hubby buys them for me by the case! (we aren't talking the little nickel bars, we are absolutely talking the size that USED to be eight ounces!
I eat half cuz I haven't figured out the math to see how many of those little pieces actually add up to a normal candy bar ... but, it does sound rather controlled, restrained, and in control of my passions to say "I ate half a candy bar" - - doesn't it? LOL <wave>
Old 03-11-2010, 08:03 AM
Power Poster

It is very responsible for you to only eat half. I usually can't do that no matter the size of bar. Once in a while we have bought a case. But that gets me into trouble. Though I do a not to bad job of rationing them. It is even better when I forget that they are there.