Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 03-04-2010, 05:33 AM

Gorgeous! I also thing another black border would enhance and frame it beautifully.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:47 AM

Woody, your quilt is beautiful. Can't wait to see your next one! They are very addictive aren't they?
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 AM

Woody, your quilt is just fabulous!! Wow! Love the colors and the tumbling blocks.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:24 AM

Wow Woody, your quilt is awesome! Absolutely beautiful!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:45 AM

Originally Posted by billswife99
Okay, y'all put on your shades cause here comes mine! 8-) 8-)

I really need some help with this one, I'm not loving it at all. I am planning to use black in the borders but I think it needs some in the mix to break it up a bit. I have the Encore book on the way, maybe some of those cubes will help. I liked somebody's idea of adding a diagonal slash. What do you think CB? Can this one be saved? :|
My thoughts would be to perhaps put a narrow purple border with a narrow yellow- orange border to border the blocks and then either a brown or black wider border on the outer edge or purple cubes somewhere in the hexes? I like the idea of pulling some of those colors out to the edge of the quilt, it helps make your eyes move around the whole quilt.
Old 03-04-2010, 06:50 AM

Originally Posted by woody
Well here is mine. DH and DD did most of the arranging if the blocks in the end , they got the fun job, and I had to sew it all together LOL. I am still tossing up whether or not it needs another black border?????
I love these and will definately make another one, the only thing I didn't like is pressing the seams open, but I'm glad I did as it made sewing it all together so much easier.
Next question though is how do you quilt it?? I've only ever done SITD. All suggestions gratefully accepted.
We are going on holidays for 2 weeks so I will do that when I come back.
Thank you again Cutebuns, I will never look at fabric the same way again.
I love how everyone elses are turning out. They are fabulous! who would think that the fabrics chosen would turn into such spectacular quilts.

Woody, that is so gorgeous ALMOST makes me want to take mine apart and start over. But I definitely agree I'll never look at fabric prints in quite the same way.

Thank you so much, Cute!
Old 03-04-2010, 06:53 AM

Originally Posted by bailey
Thank you, I am having fun with this one. Here is the original fabric - who would have thought? I have enough left to use some for the back of the quilt and maybe even a narrow border in between two wider black borders. Well, first I guess I need to sew these blocks together. Getting ahead of myself. Wish I could work as fast as I get ideas. LOL
Thank you so much CB - don't think I would have tried this without all your great intructions and patience with all the questions.
I like to put some of the original fabric in the border. Especially when the hexes look sooo diferent than the original fabric, like your lions and zebras do. I also like the look of the cubes in a contrasting color to the black and white hexes. You might also try cubes in black, gray and white, if you like a less contrasty appearance. If you end up with using a contrasting color for some cubes, perhaps you could pull that color out to the edge with a narrow border of that as well. Just some of my thoughts.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:07 AM

Woody,
I also think another black border would really frame this quilt. I'd make it the width of your pieced hexagon. Machine quilt it in a wide meander, because the stitching won't really show much with all the pattern from the fabric. I've quilted all mine from the back, so I could see where I was going.
Old 03-04-2010, 07:13 AM

This has been so much fun, to follow along with everyone, as well as inspirational for future quilts using this OBW method. It really makes me want to start cutting up and sewing some of the 10 or so fabric prints I've bought and are waiting for me to tackle. I'm in the middle of my fireworks challenge quilt for '10 right now and need to finish that before I start anything else though.
Old 03-04-2010, 08:29 AM

Woody that is a great name for your quilt! :thumbup: I would add more black to the border too. So how tedious were those cubes?