Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 03-05-2010, 11:11 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by fireworkslover
This has been so much fun, to follow along with everyone, as well as inspirational for future quilts using this OBW method. It really makes me want to start cutting up and sewing some of the 10 or so fabric prints I've bought and are waiting for me to tackle. I'm in the middle of my fireworks challenge quilt for '10 right now and need to finish that before I start anything else though.
I HAVE to ask <g> what is the fireworks challenge quilt? (on the board so I can watch y'all produce?) <wave>
My family belongs to an international fireworks organization called Pyrotechnics Guild International. There is a convention every August for a week, usually in the middle or eastern U.S.A. Part of Convention is an Art Show open to all members to display any Art they've made that has something to do with fireworks. There's lots of photographs, some sculpture and kids enter things they've made too. Anyway, back in '05 a couple quilter's got together and said, "In an organization this big (2000+ members), there have to be more quilters than us. Let's do a challenge and see how many participate. We can enter the quilts in the Art Show next year too." That started it all and we are now on year 5. Everyone gets 2 fat quarters of fabric, we pick together as a group the previous year. We go on a road trip and visit quilt shops in the towns in the area where the convention is. No limits as to size or numbers of fabric used, just that your quilt has to have a fireworks theme and you have to use "some" of each of the 2 fabrics. Sorry, only PGI members can enter a quilt. So far the numbers of quilts entered in the Show have slowly been increasing from 7 the first year to 15 last year. I've won first, second, honorary mention and Best of Show (the same year as I got first place). I can get some pics on here too.
Congratulations, and sounds like a lot of fun. Good luck for this year's event! <wave>
Old 03-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Originally Posted by Kyiav10
Originally Posted by buffy2
Woody your quilt is beautiful. I love the way you can see each block. A great job. Isn't this fun. We are all far away from each other but we can quilt together.I feel like I am quilting with a bunch of friends. Many thanks to CB. I hope she has something else plan for us in the fall.
Ada
I agree. It was fun all of us working on a project together. I think it would be fun to do another one in a few months! After we have time to wrap the OBW's up.

Kyia
I already have fabric for 3 more and am working on another!

:oops: :mrgreen:
Old 03-05-2010, 11:29 AM
Power Poster

This IS an addictive pattern :D:D:D If only my list of more pressing projects weren't so long :roll: I would be working on these full time :lol::lol::lol:
Old 03-06-2010, 09:38 PM
Power Poster

so I am done with my top, all I have to do it quilt it etc. I will probably bind it with the original fabric which will be a first for me, something a little different, then I will have to decide what to do with it, I don't really have a plan yet for it,
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1032.jpe  
Old 03-06-2010, 10:13 PM

Really pretty Cute! Cute avatar too!! Is that you?
Old 03-06-2010, 10:15 PM
Power Poster

yes it is me, I decided that I wanted to look younger, do you think that I over did it a bit, I am pretty sure that it is grade one,
Old 03-06-2010, 10:29 PM

CB, you are adorable! :thumbup: Quilt is also sweet. I think the "former" fabric would look good as the border.
Old 03-06-2010, 10:52 PM

I think the pic is adorable and you got a younger look alright!! LOL!!
Old 03-07-2010, 04:48 AM

Lovely picture, Cutebuns!! :D You already looked like someone with a gift for forging her own way, and then showing others it with confidence. If that makes sense. Just such a beautiful strength in your loveliness.

And nice idea with the orange border around your quilt! I'd never have thought of it. If you feel like posting a closer-up of the border I'd like to see it. I like adventures. :-) I think can really imagine it with a self-binding of your center fabric.
Old 03-07-2010, 05:14 AM

Catching up... sort of...

Finally done with sewing my cheetah hexagons together. 255 blocks took a loong time... I'll trim the edges straight once I'm ready to put border(s) on.

Wondering about borders now. I kind of like the look of it on the off-white sofa, so perhaps some off-white? And a dark brown binding? or something else entirely? I'd love any suggestions from you folks, this is such a great creative cauldron!
I don't need it be much larger than it is now, but am perfectly willing to play if I love an idea that requires wide border(s). I have no specific plans for this quilt, it might go on my sofa, bed, or just be following me around the house... :roll: :lol: :D
Attached Thumbnails attachment-1038.jpe   attachment-1039.jpe