Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 03-04-2010, 08:48 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
This has been so much fun, to follow along with everyone, as well as inspirational for future quilts using this OBW method. It really makes me want to start cutting up and sewing some of the 10 or so fabric prints I've bought and are waiting for me to tackle. I'm in the middle of my fireworks challenge quilt for '10 right now and need to finish that before I start anything else though.
I HAVE to ask <g> what is the fireworks challenge quilt? (on the board so I can watch y'all produce?) <wave>
Old 03-04-2010, 09:03 AM
Power Poster

WOW!!! Woody :D:D:D That is spectacular :D:D:D
How fun, you turned this quilt into a family affair!!!

I was looking, and thought it might be fun to SID around the cubes and a few other blocks and make them stand out more... maybe put an extra layer of batting behind those... then a loose meandering around the rest of the quilt.
Old 03-04-2010, 09:32 AM
k3n
Power Poster

Yes, definitely SID round the cubes and amma, the extra batting is a great idea! Thank you!!!
Old 03-04-2010, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by omak
Originally Posted by fireworkslover
This has been so much fun, to follow along with everyone, as well as inspirational for future quilts using this OBW method. It really makes me want to start cutting up and sewing some of the 10 or so fabric prints I've bought and are waiting for me to tackle. I'm in the middle of my fireworks challenge quilt for '10 right now and need to finish that before I start anything else though.
I HAVE to ask <g> what is the fireworks challenge quilt? (on the board so I can watch y'all produce?) <wave>
My family belongs to an international fireworks organization called Pyrotechnics Guild International. There is a convention every August for a week, usually in the middle or eastern U.S.A. Part of Convention is an Art Show open to all members to display any Art they've made that has something to do with fireworks. There's lots of photographs, some sculpture and kids enter things they've made too. Anyway, back in '05 a couple quilter's got together and said, "In an organization this big (2000+ members), there have to be more quilters than us. Let's do a challenge and see how many participate. We can enter the quilts in the Art Show next year too." That started it all and we are now on year 5. Everyone gets 2 fat quarters of fabric, we pick together as a group the previous year. We go on a road trip and visit quilt shops in the towns in the area where the convention is. No limits as to size or numbers of fabric used, just that your quilt has to have a fireworks theme and you have to use "some" of each of the 2 fabrics. Sorry, only PGI members can enter a quilt. So far the numbers of quilts entered in the Show have slowly been increasing from 7 the first year to 15 last year. I've won first, second, honorary mention and Best of Show (the same year as I got first place). I can get some pics on here too.
Old 03-04-2010, 05:25 PM

Woody your quilt is beautiful. I love the way you can see each block. A great job. Isn't this fun. We are all far away from each other but we can quilt together.I feel like I am quilting with a bunch of friends. Many thanks to CB. I hope she has something else plan for us in the fall.
Ada
Old 03-04-2010, 11:04 PM

Thank you everyone for your kind comments.

You are right, it does need another black border, and I love your idea Amma of SITD around the cubes and meandering the rest ( I had better put in some practice LOL).

The cubes weren't too bad Jenell, once I worked out how to enlarge them (the first cube took me 2 hours), next time I am going to do a quilt with cubes I will stick to the size in the book, it would be much easier LOL.

I hope everyone gets time to finish theirs while I am away so I can see all the beautiful quilts when I get back, I would be happy with any one of them so feel free to send them my way if you don't like yours :lol:
Old 03-04-2010, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by buffy2
Woody your quilt is beautiful. I love the way you can see each block. A great job. Isn't this fun. We are all far away from each other but we can quilt together.I feel like I am quilting with a bunch of friends. Many thanks to CB. I hope she has something else plan for us in the fall.
Ada
I agree. It was fun all of us working on a project together. I think it would be fun to do another one in a few months! After we have time to wrap the OBW's up.

Kyia
Old 03-04-2010, 11:49 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by k3n
Yes, definitely SID round the cubes and amma, the extra batting is a great idea! Thank you!!!
I love using extra batting to make certains elements pop out... I think the cubes in all of these quilts deserve to stand out :D:D:D
And it is also a good way to use up your scrap pieces of batting :wink:
I think on these, I would pin/spray baste the extra batting behind the blocks before sandwiching and then SID around them to hold the batting in place, and then trim away the excess batting. Then sandwich the quilt like you normally would, SID around them again. JMHO
Old 03-05-2010, 01:00 AM
k3n
Power Poster

amma - your humble opinion has never let me down yet! Thank you, I'll definitely try this.
Old 03-05-2010, 01:11 AM

Mmmm, so beautiful woody! I'm running out of words to do justice to all the beauties you all are showing on this thread!

I really like the look of your blocks, symmetrical fabric makes a difference again, to my eyes this also makes the cubes work so well. I love amma's idea of extra batting behind the cubes to make them stand out.