Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 03-12-2010, 05:28 PM
Power Poster

I wish I was knowledgeable enough to chime in...but I'm just admiring and trying to learn... I like both layouts...see??? Doesn't help you any...
Old 03-12-2010, 05:33 PM

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Originally Posted by STAR
OK I finally got it how I want but now I need more in the corners :oops: I was thinking of using the original fabric to fill them in and then using a large solid black border, what do you think?PLEASE EXCUSE all the trash :oops: :oops:

Not trash, I call it lived in look. Had to use my hubby's "playroom" cuz cats kept "helping" :)
Thanx ;) made me feel better,

I was also thinking of black hexes to fill and then border then another border with my original fabric??? too many ideas,LOL. I may just cut more anyway :roll:
Old 03-12-2010, 05:43 PM

OK I finally got it how I want but now I need more in the corners :oops: I was thinking of using the original fabric to fill them in and then using a large solid black border, what do you think?PLEASE EXCUSE all the trash :oops: :oops:

Not trash, I call it lived in look. Had to use my hubby's "playroom" cuz cats kept "helping" :)
Thanx ;) made me feel better,

I was also thinking of black hexes to fill and then border then another border with my original fabric??? too many ideas,LOL. I may just cut more anyway :roll:
If you like your layout I think using some of you original fabric would be neat. Do you have the book? I have the Encore version and there is a little blurb somewhere about using fabric to fill in corners and such. They didn't even cut it as repeats if I remember right. Cant' look, lent book out.

I wouldn't worry about borders until your sure how your main part will be.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:04 PM

no I don't have the book , was just thinking on my own since I really like my layout and don't want to have to move it around if I cut more. then I got to thinking about black?? still not sure yet. I did buy the rest of the fabric that the store had so that I could add borders. I will have to try laying both down to see what I like. well off to bed have to be up early to go to a class with DH and then off to the SHOP HOP!!!!!
Old 03-12-2010, 06:21 PM

Hi Knlsmith. Your blocks are beautiful. I love the brightness can't help with the layout.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:24 PM

I agree with knlsmith, use the original fabric to fill in. If you don't have enough of the original, a solid color found in the the hexs. Either way it would give a modern, avant garde feel to the quilt.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:26 PM

knlsmith, try swirling the brown a bit more, or follow nature, you go from the darkest to the lightest hues.

I like your colors, very peppy.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:24 PM

okay here is number 3. Gonna wait for input before I do a number 4 layout.

;) :thumbup:
The hex in the bottom left corner with the brownish edge on the yellow seems out of place to me. Perhaps move it up closer to others that have that same brownish color in them. Maybe switch it out with one that's mostly yellow with a bit of white in it.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:27 PM

I like the idea of using the orig. fabric, but if you place it in the corners, you might run into problems getting it in there without facing a bunch of "Y" seams. I usually put it in the border and have it wide enough so you can see the print nicely.
If you want to do a black border, I think that will look grand, but add one or two narrow borders of yellow and/ or pink or green inside the black border. That will pull those colors out to the edge of your quilt and help make your eyes move around the whole thing.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:48 PM

fireworkslover---- I have been admiring the OBW in your avatar for a while, is that one you made? Can we see a full pic of it? I think it is one of my faves to date!! :) :) If it needs a good home ........

Rachel