Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc......... >

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Tip toe through Hexagons Cutie Style, layout etc.........

Old 03-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Originally Posted by fireworkslover
Originally Posted by STAR
OK I finally got it how I want but now I need more in the corners :oops: I was thinking of using the original fabric to fill them in and then using a large solid black border, what do you think?PLEASE EXCUSE all the trash :oops: :oops:
I like the idea of using the orig. fabric, but if you place it in the corners, you might run into problems getting it in there without facing a bunch of "Y" seams. I usually put it in the border and have it wide enough so you can see the print nicely.
If you want to do a black border, I think that will look grand, but add one or two narrow borders of yellow and/ or pink or green inside the black border. That will pull those colors out to the edge of your quilt and help make your eyes move around the whole thing.
Thanx I never thought of adding the other colors to the borders?? I guess I am just stuck on the black, my favorite color
:-D
I will be playing around with this for a couple more days, but better hurry since it is on the living room floor :shock: woried about the kids running it over :roll:
Old 03-13-2010, 09:09 AM

Thanx I never thought of adding the other colors to the borders?? I guess I am just stuck on the black, my favorite color
:-D
I will be playing around with this for a couple more days, but better hurry since it is on the living room floor :shock: woried about the kids running it over :roll:
To me from the pics you've posted it looks like you're on the way of letting it find its way to the layout you most like. Which is fabulous. Isn't it fun! I love your gold brown colours aqnd can't wait to see what you decide on. I'd love to see other colors in the borders, as has been suggested. (Black is my staple favourite, too!)

Re layouting on the floor, I did that too and I couldn't leave it out indefinitely. Once the general layout looked ok to me, I pinned my blocks to an old flannel blanket so I could fold it away when I needed. Just saying, because you mention kid traffic hazards... :-D
Old 03-13-2010, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by athenagwis
fireworkslover---- I have been admiring the OBW in your avatar for a while, is that one you made? Can we see a full pic of it? I think it is one of my faves to date!! :) :) If it needs a good home ........

Rachel
I've posted three pics. of it on another thread here: "Freehand fmq feathers - great method!" It's on page 9.
I have the border (top and bottom on two sides), so when it's hung on the wall the borders on the top and bottom are right side up. This gives the option to hang it either landscape or portrait. Note sleeves on two sides on the back. My 24 yr. old son has it on his bedroom wall above his computers, so sorry it's already spoken for.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:10 PM
Power Poster

OK I finally got it how I want but now I need more in the corners :oops: I was thinking of using the original fabric to fill them in and then using a large solid black border, what do you think?PLEASE EXCUSE all the trash :oops: :oops:
I love it!!! It reminds me of the milky way :D:D:D
I would use one of your half hexs as a template and add in the black with them... I think that would be easier than trying to sew in hexagons. You could cut some of them in half to use on the ends.
Old 03-13-2010, 12:18 PM

ok. I think this might be it. Let me know what you all think please. I am so anxious to start sewing it! :thumbup:

For those who know how, please feel free to "mark it up" in paint for me.

*squeal* :!: :-P

layout 4
[ATTACH=CONFIG]7325[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7325.jpe  
Old 03-13-2010, 12:21 PM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by knlsmith
Ok sorry it's been way more than a couple hours forgot I had to do grocery shopping today.
Here is my second shot at layout. i think it is closer

Tell me what you think. Something is just a little bit off. Need some help
I like this layout the best so far :D:D:D
Old 03-13-2010, 12:45 PM

OK, I do not pretend to know how this would look best but here is my suggestion anyway. (Still playing with mine too)

I would stitch places with the blocks marked so that you get more of an S pattern with the darker blocks but I could be way off track too. Doesn't hurt to try though.
Attached Thumbnails attachment-7789.jpe  
Old 03-13-2010, 12:46 PM

Oops., I would Switch places not stitch. Proofread, proofread muttering to self.,.,
Old 03-13-2010, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by bailey
Oops., I would Switch places not stitch. Proofread, proofread muttering to self.,.,
Thanks! So funny I just made some of those changes! I guess great minds think alike! LOL

I have a feeling this is something that could go on forever and never be exactly where you think you want it.

Gonna roll it up for the night. Have to get some sewing done for a a class I hav e thurs night.

need a design break from this one. i will be checking back, I am up a lot at night so i am sure it will come out again around 3 am. :)
Old 03-13-2010, 03:33 PM

I too like the "S" shape plan with the darker blocks. It breaks up the space better. For some reason in design, things with odd numbers always look better. So three, five, seven, etc., rather than two, four, etc. This works with flower arranging and areas in a photo or a quilt top. When I first looked at your #4, I got a feeling the sideways brown V was dividing the space in half. So therefore the S shape will divide the space up more.