Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Tips for Elmer's School Glue

Blog Entries

Tips for Elmer's School Glue

I know it has been posted before but I can't rem,ember where it was said to buy them. I tried the Elmer's glue thing and can't get it small enough to do it, I need the tip so it comes out in a smaller stream. But I did like the results, used it on a small project and it worked great. I am getting ready to do a small quilt and would love to try it on this. Thanks for your help, you Guy's are always there for us dummies, lol
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I find if I apply the glue with the bottle perpendicular to the item I am apply to, it does a smaller stream. I other words, don't slant the bottle while you are applying. Clear as mud?

I use a Popsicle stick to spread a little spot of glue. Have you tried a Turkey injector? I bought one, but haven't tried it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jcrilley View Post
    I find if I apply the glue with the bottle perpendicular to the item I am apply to, it does a smaller stream. I other words, don't slant the bottle while you are applying. Clear as mud?
    This is what I do. it comes out in a very thin stream. Also, holding it up about 12 inches or more helps too. I don't use any special tips, just straight from the bottle. sometimes I end up getting it on my fingers (when I am smoothing near the edges and I have wiped on quilt top. Dries clear and washes out. No trouble with needle going through. Love that stuff!!
    Alyce

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Stitchnripper View Post
    This is what I do. it comes out in a very thin stream. Also, holding it up about 12 inches or more helps too. I don't use any special tips, just straight from the bottle. sometimes I end up getting it on my fingers (when I am smoothing near the edges and I have wiped on quilt top. Dries clear and washes out. No trouble with needle going through. Love that stuff!!
    Exactly how I use it. Love it.
    ranger
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Life...you muddle your way through it and then you die!

Blog Entries
    The metal tips are very hard to find now. I got an infant liquid medicine syringe, plunger type, from the pharmacy (free) and use it to apply tiny drops of glue.
    Got fabric?

Blog Entries
    thanks to you all, I think I was holding it wrong. I will try again, I did go to Wally World and found it in a quart, lots cheaper than the spray you buy to do this with, some of that stuff is $15.00 a can, wow. Proud of it and it chokes me in the process.
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

Blog Entries
    I used the bottle my dog had for his vitamins and I have also tried the syringe thing to put some medication in her mouth. .
    You could just small drop from a stick and the read.
    Finished is better than a UFO

Blog Entries
    Don't forget to try the home made spray glue with flour and rubbing alcohol. I really like it!
    A bed without a quilt is like the night sky without stars.

http://californiaquilting.blogspot.com/

Washable glue sticks from the dollar store work very, very well too. Just be sure it's washable. A quick little dab will line up seams. I use it too to keep corner squares stable when making snowball blocks, and instead of pins to keep my squares stablely together when making HSTs. The results are accurate and stress free.
    Maggie in Jerusalem
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/maggiemwdesigns

I did my first quilt with pins, pins and more pins and the second one with that spray baste (very smelly and sticky) then I read on here about the glue. I tried it on my next quilt and wow was it ever so easy. I am just about finished with my 5th quilt and Elmer's glue has really made the whole sandwiching thing something I kinda look forward to.....I get to take a trip back to my kindergarten days! LOL. Probably my biggest problem/fault is that I use too much. Kind of like if a little does okay then a whole lot does better! Each time I try to use less and the holding it about 12-15 inches above perpendicular is the best. It is easier to get nice thin lines or squigglies. I think I might have given up on quilting if I had to do the old-fashioned pin thing. I got stuck way too much with that first one.

Quote Originally Posted by carslo View Post
    Don't forget to try the home made spray glue with flour and rubbing alcohol. I really like it!
    Would you share the recipe for this?
    Scrapy quilts have more love in them.

BellaBoo - great idea about the syringe!! Pyffer3 - I'm in agreement with you. I had five quilt tops in a stack, just dreading having to sandwich in preparation for quilting. Once I started using Elmer's, the dread was gone. I'm in the process of getting these completed so they are no longer UFO's.

Also, when you are holding the bottle above the batting, move your hand fairly quickly. It "stretches" the stream of glue out and makes it thinner. I've even seen the line of glue bead up (like water on a freshly waxed car) on the batting and look like a line of dots.

Tate
    King of the Rocketeers!

Found plastic tips at Michaels stores. Don't see the metal ones anymore.
    Earleen The best helping hand is at the end of your arm.

Blog Entries
    Beauty supply store-pick up an empty hair coloring bottle for a couple of bucks. They have a very small opening in a long nozzle attached to a screw cap that fits perfectly on the glue bottles.

I have the tips, but had a horrible experience. While squeezing, the top came off and I had a full bottle of glue on my fabric AND the floor. Needless to say I have not tried it again. Anyway I bought mine at Sharon Shambers web site.
    so many quilts to make, so little time.

Blog Entries
    Are you talking about using the glue for basting a quilt? Or for basting bindings, glue-basting seams, etc.? If for the latter, I bought the following glue tips at a quilt show and really like them:
    http://www.purpledaisiesllc.com/Fine..._Glue_p/69.htm
    You screw off the cap and screw on this tip. It makes a very fine line of glue and does not get clogged. Afterwards I screw the original cap back on the bottle and rinse and then soak the glue tip in a jar of water (as it is rather difficult to get all the glue out of the fine tip). I used to use just the Elmer's bottle on bindings and it worked, but I like this fine line of glue much better for bindings.

Blog Entries
    I purchased the metal tips from Sharon Schambers site, but I can not seem to get them to work for me. I can't remember if the plastic long tips I use came from her site or if I bought them at Hobby Lobby in the model planes cars etc. dept. But I have two long plastic tips that I use. Be sure to put the plastic cap on the tip when you are finished using it. This helps keep it from drying out. Sharon suggested that you DO NOT use a metal pin or needle in the bottle if you don't have a cap, because they have a tendacy to rust and get in the glue. She recommended something we all have from time to time, the very thin (hair like thin) plastic strips, rings or strips whatever you might call them that are attached to tags on clothes when you buy them, many of these have a funny end instead of just the t shape ends. These work well.

I got my tips from purple daises. I got 2 for $6.00. http://www.purpledaisiesllc.com/
    ranbro

Love the tips from Prism99 and Gerbie.

I used the diluted glue directly from the bottle to baste my sandwiches, but I found that it squirts a smaller thread of glue if I close the top a little. Maybe halfway, but that is hard to measure. Then when I put the glue on, I move the bottle very fast. That also makes a smaller line of glue.

I've had mostly very good luck with the glue. The only time it didn't work as well was when I was working with a very thin batt. It seems the scrim on the batt didn't absorb the glue like the fuzzy batts do.
    Mavita - Square dancer and One Room School Teacher

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by carslo View Post
    I guess I missed the flour and alcohol, can you tell me the mixture
    Life is SEW great!!!!!!

There is a thread here on the QB with the receipe for the spray glue. Here is the link: Homemade spray glue

I got my plastic bottle with a glue tip in the art department of Hobby Lobby. I am not sure the metal glue tips are made anymore.

Hubby bought a set of 6 plastic tips at Wally World. They are by Plaid and have a blue label on top of package. Wash out great and easy to squeeze. They were in the craft department by the small bottles of paint, near the fabric paint accessories.

I did try a little water in the glue bottle, but found the material seemed to wrinkle more. I left the glue full strength. It also seems to dry smoother when you iron it dry rather than let it air dry.

I used warm and white batting. I sandwiched the back and batting, then turned it over and added the top, putting the glue on both sides of the batting. It washes out just fine and didn't gum up the sewing machine needle.

School glue is my new BFF !
    sapdoggie

Life is full of many pieces- why not quilt?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast