Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips for Elmer's School Glue >

Tips for Elmer's School Glue

Tips for Elmer's School Glue

Old 05-16-2013, 03:39 AM

Love the tips from Prism99 and Gerbie.

I used the diluted glue directly from the bottle to baste my sandwiches, but I found that it squirts a smaller thread of glue if I close the top a little. Maybe halfway, but that is hard to measure. Then when I put the glue on, I move the bottle very fast. That also makes a smaller line of glue.

I've had mostly very good luck with the glue. The only time it didn't work as well was when I was working with a very thin batt. It seems the scrim on the batt didn't absorb the glue like the fuzzy batts do.
Old 05-16-2013, 03:49 AM

Originally Posted by carslo View Post
Don't forget to try the home made spray glue with flour and rubbing alcohol. I really like it!
I guess I missed the flour and alcohol, can you tell me the mixture
Old 05-16-2013, 05:06 AM

There is a thread here on the QB with the receipe for the spray glue. Here is the link: Homemade spray glue
Old 05-16-2013, 05:24 AM

I got my plastic bottle with a glue tip in the art department of Hobby Lobby. I am not sure the metal glue tips are made anymore.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:25 AM

Hubby bought a set of 6 plastic tips at Wally World. They are by Plaid and have a blue label on top of package. Wash out great and easy to squeeze. They were in the craft department by the small bottles of paint, near the fabric paint accessories.

I did try a little water in the glue bottle, but found the material seemed to wrinkle more. I left the glue full strength. It also seems to dry smoother when you iron it dry rather than let it air dry.

I used warm and white batting. I sandwiched the back and batting, then turned it over and added the top, putting the glue on both sides of the batting. It washes out just fine and didn't gum up the sewing machine needle.

School glue is my new BFF !
Old 05-16-2013, 05:30 AM

If you want a small tip to use on binding the Elmer's Glue Pen (still school glue and washable) works really well. The only place I've been able to find those is Walmart.

I just did my first whole quilt basting with Elmer's and a regular bottle. It does come out a bit lumpy but it works. I finally added a little water to the glue and that helped, too. I'm still refining this process.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:38 AM

Does anyone remember watching Alene's Creative Living several years ago? When they needed a fine line of glue, they wrapped tape around the tip of the glue bottle, kind of in a spiral form towards the tip, and it left a much smaller hole for the glue to come out of. Not sure if it would work with the Elmers but it did work with Alene's glue bottles.

There are still some shows on YouTube, but not sure if they show how she did the glue or not.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:39 AM

Thank you for the tip. I always use pins but will try the glue now. Have used it before with great results on seams just didn't think of using it this way. A little dab on corners should do it.
Old 05-16-2013, 05:51 AM
Power Poster

I keep a sponge paint brush or even a regular little paint brush and spread where it looks a little much. That's if I use the glue at all.
Old 05-16-2013, 06:05 AM

What is the biggest quilt you have basted with elmers glue.