Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips Topic >

Tips Topic

Tips Topic

Old 04-14-2011, 07:09 AM

I cut my thread ion a slant which helps
Old 04-14-2011, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by vtretire
I roll my binding strip onto an empty toilet paper roll and just stick a pin in it to stop it from unrolling if I'm not going to use it right away.

Also when I do sew on my binding I pass a ribbon through the toilet paper roll and tie it around my neck. As I'm sewing the binding strip rolls off the tp roll and doesn't get tangled on the floor or twisted around.
I like this tip to keep the binding neat as you go - thank you!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:25 AM

When sewing 4 patches together- put needle in down position and place patch up against the needle then sew. There will be no shifting and you will have perfect points.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:30 AM

Hi dd, I'm a 4-H person too. Thanks for the tip
Old 04-14-2011, 07:31 AM

I use the file folder w/filp top & string (expandable - med or lg size), for patterns. New, copyed, etc. It is not so big, so I can take in the car when I'm shopping and if I see a pattern I feel I must have. I can pull the pattern leave with sales person and run out to the car and look to see if I have it. Now I don't get the same one over again (It used to happen ALL the time)
Old 04-14-2011, 07:35 AM

Originally Posted by Jeandrig
Thanks for all the tips. I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.1- Has anyone found a solution for keeping bobbins neat and to not unwind on bobbin and able to tell the colors of thread on bobbin? I bought some of the clear plastic tubing, but don't know how to cut it.
2- I have a lot of embroidery thread, I mean a lot of it, my question is: Does it ever get too weak or rotten to safely use on projects?
Thanks for any help I can get on this.
Clover makes a bobbin holder that stacks up - oh, heck, see the picture! The base is in the drawer somewhere.

Clover bobbin holder
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184094[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-184088.gif  
Old 04-14-2011, 07:43 AM

If you know someone at a pizza joint (like we never go for quick food!!!!). I have been able to get NEW pizza boxes in each size (they gave them to me), to put my quilt (WIP), blocks in for transport to and from class or meeting. This keeps your blocks FLAT, with out any extra work. PS: I never give my boxes away at block exchnge, I'll just put the blocks into my box when we exchange.
Old 04-14-2011, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jeandrig
Thanks for all the tips. I have two questions that I hope someone can help me with.1- Has anyone found a solution for keeping bobbins neat and to not unwind on bobbin and able to tell the colors of thread on bobbin? I bought some of the clear plastic tubing, but don't know how to cut it.
2- I have a lot of embroidery thread, I mean a lot of it, my question is: Does it ever get too weak or rotten to safely use on projects?
Thanks for any help I can get on this.
MY LQS told me to get little girl pony tail holders. You can find them at the $ store and you get like 50 for $1.00. Place them over your bobbins and no more threads. I have even used them on spools of thread as they do stretch. They work great!!!
Old 04-14-2011, 07:50 AM

I use pony tail holders on my bobbins to keep the thread from unraveling. Love all the tips
Old 04-14-2011, 07:54 AM

Print a copy of the quilt in your fav mag or book. Flip the paper over, feed into printer and copy the fabric shopping list. Much easier to shop, carry so little. Keep pictures in a binder, also much easier than searching for it thru several mags or books.