Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips Topic >

Tips Topic

Tips Topic

Old 04-16-2011, 08:46 AM

Trims at Joann Fabrics come wrapprd on plastic thingies which are great for binding.
Old 04-17-2011, 01:49 AM

HI, Is this for hand sewing needles or yout machine?
If you are having a problem and do not have and auto threader for the needle just slip a white piece of paper behind the eye and it will apear much bigger and easier to thread....

Originally Posted by ThreadHead
I had this in another place, but I think it goes better under Tips
The way I thread my needles-----
Cut thread, blunt cut making sure there are no wild threads.
Hold the thread between your thumb and forefinger, now pull the thread down from the bottom until there is only a slight dot of thread showing.
Set the eye of the needle down on the dot,
BARELY roll your thumb and finger open while setting the eye down on the thread, now roll your thumb and finger UP, catching the thread. As you pull the thread up, you pull the needle down and I bet you the needle will be threaded. I've done it so many times I don't even have to look. lol
No poking at the eye four or five time.
Syl
Old 04-18-2011, 10:29 AM

This weekend as I was pinning quilts for machine quilting I thought I should pass this tip on as it really works for me. I have three - six foot tables that I set up in my basement. I put the backing fabric on the table and hold it in place with clamps you put around your pant legs when riding a bike or to keep a quilt rolled up for machine quilting. (I never liked them for keeping a quilt rolled up for quilting.) I put one end of the clip under the table and the other end of the clip on the top of the table holding the backing in place. I then put down my batting, putting the edge of the batting under the clips. This keeps the backing and batting tight and straight. I then lay my quilt top down. Depending on the size of my top, I can either put the top under the clips or just spread it out and it stays in place as I am pinning my quilt. Works great for me - I hope I explained it well enough.
Old 04-18-2011, 05:34 PM

I HATE TO ADMIT IT , BUT I AM A SMOKER . AND TO GET SMOKE OUT OF QUILTS , I USE LAVENDER WATER SOLUTION . 2 CUPS OF DISTILLED WATER ,2 OUNCES CHEAP VODKA AND 15 - 20 DROPS OF 100 PERCENT ESSENTIAL OIL OF LAVENDER [ LAVENDER OIL FOUND AT HEALTH FOODS STORES ] SPRAY AND IRON . SMELLS SO GOOD . TERRI
Old 04-19-2011, 07:57 AM

I ALSO USE MENS BELT HANGERS FOR MY RULERS . TERRI
Old 04-23-2011, 11:36 AM

I have a wooden rack with pegs (from Hancocks or JoAnn) hanging near my machine. I put the bobbin on a peg and the matching spool of thread on top of it.

To prevent backaches when cutting fabric, use sections of PVC pipe on the bottom of the table legs to raise it to a convenient height. We have found that 12" is about right for most of our quilting group. The pipe is easy to cut with hand saws or your local hardware store may cut it for you.
Old 04-24-2011, 04:54 AM

If you aren't handy with saws and such, try using a tall can like a fruit juice can under each leg.
Old 04-24-2011, 05:24 AM

Thank you, thank you, thank you. It does work!!! That's my most difficult thing to do. You just made my life easier.

Originally Posted by whinnytoo
and I wet the needle, not the thread....... works slick as a whistle!
The way I thread my needles-----
Cut thread, blunt cut making sure there are no wild threads.
Hold the thread between your thumb and forefinger, now pull the thread down from the bottom until there is only a slight dot of thread showing.
Set the eye of the needle down on the dot,
BARELY roll your thumb and finger open while setting the eye down on the thread, now roll your thumb and finger UP, catching the thread. As you pull the thread up, you pull the needle down and I bet you the needle will be threaded. I've done it so many times I don't even have to look. lol
No poking at the eye four or five time.
Syl
[/quote]
Old 04-24-2011, 05:50 PM

I ALSO USE EMPTY TOILET PAPER ROLL TO ROLL UP MY BINDING WORKS GREAT FOR ME . I ALSO USE TO EMERY BOARDS TO HOLD SMALL TRIANGLS WHEN I CUT .