Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips Topic >

Tips Topic

Tips Topic

Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 AM
Power Poster

I always keep some sharp razor blades near the sewing machine, and use them to rip out seams. Also, once you have ripped, turn the blade sideways and "brush" or scrape it gently over the cut seam, and it will pull all the thread bits up and clean up the seam, pronto.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Just think how much money has been saved with all of these tips. "The more money to buy fabric with my dear", don't you think? LOL Marge L.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:00 AM

Originally Posted by Kitsie
Spray shiny rulers with Minwax Polyurethane Clear Satin (or equivalent) to stop glare on surface of ruler from overhead lights.
Oh, this is perfect timing, Kitsie! I'm sure that DH has some of that in his shop. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by sewbizgirl
I'm surprised no one's mentioned using comic book boards to organize smaller pieces of fabric, less than 2 yards... Fold your fabric with selvedges together, then fold that width in half again, and you will end up with just the right size to wrap around the boards and make "mini bolts" of fabric. I recently bought a bookcase to store all my mini bolts on, like books on a shelf. It makes it so much easier to see everything, organized by color.

For the longer length pieces, I wrap them around my long cutting ruler then pull the ruler out. I stack those folded pieces horizontally, like a stack of full-sized bolts. I love being able to see all my fabrics now!
Great timing...I just did this last week. I don't have a big stash but now at least I can see what I have. Anything more than 2 yards I folded with the ruler method; anything smaller but more than a fat quarter-ish size, I used the comic boards. When I bought the boards, I thought no way could I use 100 of them! I used 97!!

Folded fabrics; scraps in bins on left; don't look at the rest of the closet!
[ATTACH=CONFIG]184582[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails attachment-184576.jpe  
Old 04-15-2011, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by Marion Jean
Originally Posted by kraftykimberly
My tip is to give in and just stop sewing at 3:00 in the morning if your eyes are watering from eye strain from sewing away all day. I say that because it is possible you might incorporate part of your clothing ensemble into your project. Ask me how I know :-)
Been there, done that :)
Been there done that & it wasn't even 3:00a.m.!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 08:15 AM

What are the comic book boards and where did you buy them?
Old 04-15-2011, 08:16 AM

I guess this could be a tip...when I folded the fabrics on the ruler, I counted the number of folds and stuck a note on the shelf....13 folds = 4 yards. Now, if the note stays up there, I can figure out how much yardage I have without having to unfold and measure.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:20 AM

Originally Posted by misoop
What are the comic book boards and where did you buy them?
They are used by collectors to keep their comics flat....they're white cardboard, heavier than card stock. I got them from Amazon. Just search for comic book boards. About $14 for 100, I think.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by Andrea
I hate slippery rulers too, My first suggestion is to cut small squares of fine grit sandpaper and glue them to the underside of the ruler. (You'll only need four), Sandpaper circles with good adhesive can also be purchased, although they might be difficult to find in quilting magazines, etc. What I LOVE are small plastic circles which don't block your vision, i.e., you can see right through them and you don't lose the line you're trying to follow. These are harder to find, and I don't remember where I got mine, but if you can find them I think you'll love them too.
Andrea, the ones I tried were about 1/8" thick and raised the ruler off the fabric. I didn't like that. Are yours the same?
I got a set of the clear dots at JoAnn's, it works ok for my large rotary cutter but my smaller one has a hard time b/c the blade almost too small for the thickness of the ruler and dots.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:28 PM

Originally Posted by Elisabethann
Originally Posted by QuiltE
Spray shiny rulers with Minwax Polyurethane Clear Satin (or equivalent) to stop glare on surface of ruler from overhead lights.
Great suggestion!

Hint wanted ...
**How do you make the rulers/squares etc. less slippery?
Please? and Thanks!
They make sandpaper dots just for this! They recommend NOT using them on silk and satin types of fabrics otherwise the dots might snag the fabric. I found them in my quilting section at Joann's
Spray lightly with Sulky Spray really works well