Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tips Topic >

Tips Topic

Tips Topic

Old 04-15-2011, 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by TonnieLoree
To make threading the needle in your sewing machine easier, put a white piece of paper behind the eye. For some reason this makes the eye stand out.
Love this idea and will give it a go. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-15-2011, 02:56 AM

Originally Posted by QuiltE
Originally Posted by Kitsie
Spray shiny rulers with Minwax Polyurethane Clear Satin (or equivalent) to stop glare on surface of ruler from overhead lights.
Great suggestion!

Hint wanted ...
**How do you make the rulers/squares etc. less slippery?
Please? and Thanks!
I use Clear Grip made by Sew Easy. You can remove it if you wish but I've had it on for quite a few years and don't even know it's there anymore. It was a bit on the expensive side but well worth it to stop slipping while cutting.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:37 AM

I took a piece of Masonite just bigger than 9x11 and put padding and then ironing board fabric and wrapped it around and glued it down. Trimmed all the edges close. Then on the back side I glued a fine grit and paper to holding down fabric while marking it. This si portable and gives me a double use. It goes into my kit for classes. I take my portable travel iron and it sits right beside my sewing machine during class. Jan
Old 04-15-2011, 07:00 AM

Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Many of you may already know this but just in case. When pressing binding, pin a safety pin to the end of the ironing board. Put the binding through the safety pin (it will glide easily) and press it as it comes out of the other side.
No, I didn't know this...great idea..thank you!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:01 AM

For those of you who iron with steam.

I was always making a huge mess when trying to refill my iron with water, so finally bought one of those red picnic ketchup bottles. Fill that with water, stick the nozzle down in the fill hole on the iron and wala no more mess!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by dd
I use an old prescription bottle for my old needles and pins. then I can just throw away the bottle. I also carry one in my bag to 4H incase the girls break a needle there.
This is almost the same. I cut a hole in the top of a 35mm film canister and leave it next to my sewing machine for bent or broken pins and needles.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:13 AM

You can use Chinese chop sticks that you get at the restaurant for a stiletto.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:17 AM

When quilting on my longarm machine, I put a strip of blue painters tape across my quilt at the point that I need to stop to prevent "bumping" into the stopping place (the place that my machine head will go no further.) This has shows me not to try to go past that point and have "bump" in my stitching. When finished, I just take it up, roll my quilt, and re-use it on the next pass.
Another tip: I found that one of my medicine bottles for large pills, is exactly the right size to drop my "used" rotary cutter blades into. It can probably hold 50 or more.
Old 04-15-2011, 07:25 AM

Originally Posted by audsgirl
I really like the Invisi-Grip to cover the bottoms of rulers. It is a vinyl cling product that one cuts 1/8 inch smaller than the ruler. It doesn't throw off the balance of the ruler.
Also, the rubber ring BobbinSaver is terrific for storing bobbins so they don't unwind. They slip so easily in and out, and you can see the color of the thread at a glance. Both of these items are available at JoAnn's.
Love these two items also. I have a couple BobbinSavers in my drawer!
Old 04-15-2011, 07:25 AM
Power Poster

I'm surprised no one's mentioned using comic book boards to organize smaller pieces of fabric, less than 2 yards... Fold your fabric with selvedges together, then fold that width in half again, and you will end up with just the right size to wrap around the boards and make "mini bolts" of fabric. I recently bought a bookcase to store all my mini bolts on, like books on a shelf. It makes it so much easier to see everything, organized by color.

For the longer length pieces, I wrap them around my long cutting ruler then pull the ruler out. I stack those folded pieces horizontally, like a stack of full-sized bolts. I love being able to see all my fabrics now!