Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Tissue Paper for Foundation >

Tissue Paper for Foundation

Tissue Paper for Foundation

Old 02-23-2011, 05:19 PM

I've been tracing blocks onto Artist Tracing Paper.

I think/hope it'll tear easily once I've sewn the paper pieced blocks with small stitches.
Old 02-23-2011, 05:51 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Holice
There is some misunderstanding. I am not putting it thru the printer but rather use it like the old folkds did. Cut a square and sew strings onto the paper. Turn it over and trip the edges. This is NOT paper piecing as we know it today. I have made them by using muslin as the foundation fabric.
So misunderstanding as to how I will use it. I have read of washaway stabilizer but trying to find some less expensive alternative.
Like English Paper Piecing? What do you mean "trip" the edges?

Wait, just went back to read the OP

....Strings or STRIPS????
Old 02-23-2011, 05:54 PM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by HummerGardenCrafts
What is vellum and where do you get it? Price?
Vellum is a thicker tracing paper. Works great in the printer (and a big Xerox copier, too).

I get it at Office Depot. It comes in a pad, 50 pages, 11x17 for around $16. I split the pages so I get 100 sheets.

Nancy's Notions has a package of 100 for $10. I just always forget to order from there. ;)
Old 02-24-2011, 06:30 AM

I used pages from an old phone book for string quilt block & crazy quilting blocks. I'm not sure tissue paper is strong enough but it might be if you don't handle the blocks too much. I use tissue paper for tracing quilting motifs and then tape/pin/spray baste it on and quilt right through it.

It's very easy to rip out tissue paper and vellum so I'm not sure why you need it to wash out.

They didn't wash quilts in the old days--no commercial washers and dryers out on the prairie and too heavy to drag to the creek and back. They beat them like rugs or just aired them out so many still have the old newspapers they used for foundations inside of them.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:32 AM
Banned

my fingers walked the wrong way when I wrote "trip" the edges.
I meant to say, you cut the edges using the paper square as the pattern. After all squares or other shapes are sewn then the paper is ripped away.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:35 AM
Banned

Vellum has been mentioned several times but I thought the cost of almost $1 per page is a bit expensive. However, I remember going to a going out of business sale and buying a box of over 700 12"x18" parchment used in cooking. Got it for about 6 cents a sheet. I will try using that.
I'm trying to make this class as inexpensive as possible.
Old 02-24-2011, 07:37 AM
MTS
Banned

Originally Posted by Holice
Vellum has been mentioned several times but I thought the cost of almost $1 per page is a bit expensive.
:?: :?: More like 16 cents per page
Old 02-24-2011, 07:42 AM

I used tissue paper when sewing fabrics like silk or chiffon or taffeta to stabilze the back then tear off. I did a strip quilt with freezer paper but would not do again because..... you had to leave paper on while you sewed the strips together(it was heavy and pulled to the side of machine. I got smart and started tearing off paper (was a pain around corners) leaving only one row of paper at a time while sewing others. Next time I will either use muslim or used dryer sheets-- just bought two big boxes.