Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: In a tizz.

I have been taking classes for 15 years. I take classes all the time, but I am like you before each one, even if I have taken a class from the instructor before. I'm not sure "Tizz" is fear, excitement, anticipation or whatever. Maybe all of those. I know that I can hardly wait and I think the "Tizz" makes me extra vigilant when I am doing pre-class cutting and sewing. Once I get to the class it is all excitement.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by MemoryKeeper
    I understand. I took a class with some "good" friends and the class ended for me when my now former friend got up and "critiqued" my work loudly and rudely. I was crushed. I have a really decent IQ but I learn best by observing (assuming there's something to see) and then practicing at home alone. Different strokes for different folks...I wish you well either way. Trust your instincts. PS:I'm a retired teacher :thumbup':
    I'm glad you said "former friend". I've never seen anyone do that in a class or on a site. It's just rude, uncalled for and thank God, rare. She was probably trying to make herself feel better about her own work.

Never be embarrassed by your work. It is unique! Mine never look right untill they are done. then I am even amazed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by quiltsillysandi
    I am starting a class today, not nervous, totally excited and can't wait to get there....I get nervous when I go to the doctor....lololol.....

Look at this from a different perspective....Take your quilt and with pride, I doubt it's as bad as you think, as we are all our own worst critics..That's what the teachers/instructors are there for, to help you with any problems you may have...This is a great learning opportunity...Grab it, run with it, and then apply all of this wonderful new knowledge to your next project...

Hope you have a fun day!

Sandi
    I don't get nervous going to the Doctor, but the Dentist is another story. I just want to go somewhere and hide.

Cypress, Texas by the way of Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
    You are not alone. I get real nervous in a class setting too. An example...I was taking a border class. The teacher hovered. I sewed my finger. My seams did not match. Only one in class not to finish. I have been sewing since 5 and quilting since 1986. I have received several blue ribbons and a best of show so it definately is not my sewing ability. My advice...make your class project the sample and make another at home for your masterpiece. Just don't give up. There is no such thing as an ugly quilt.

I look at this like I look at doctors--I am employing them! I fired one once and he didn't know what to say--he had lied to both my regular doctor and to me. I also leaned against the door and wouldn't let him leave until he answered questions to my satisfaction. It helped that I'm 6' tall and he barely hit 5'.

Quote Originally Posted by AnnieH
    Does anyone else get butterflies before a class? I'm doing a monthly one at the moment with two lovely, patient teachers (and only four in the class), but I don't want to take my latest project (paper piecing top which needs squaring and then borders) as I think it's not good enough and have been up since 6 a.m. cutting fabric for a new project so that I have something to do. I'm nuts today.
    You are taking a class to learn - I wouldn't worry about what anyone thinks or says -YOUR opinion is the only one that matters.

Relax and have fun. Maybe you will find a new friend among your classmates.

You are paying to learn about quilting - let them teach you.

I am sending a big hug through the computer to you.

Just sit down sweet lady and have a cuppa. You will be fine. Hugs to your fur baby from a once resident of beautiful England.

Don't be nervous. I know that is easy to say, but let me tell you a funny. I attended a quilting school where the teacher started a new project every other month. One month we all were having a problem putting the project,a table runner together, even the teacher. It turned out the measurements for the center square were wrong. I drafted the center and sewed it together. Perfectly. The teacher? She had problems with the table runner because some of triangles were backwards. She had to re-make them. That evening we each learned from each other. You are going to do great!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2