Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
TOL Machines - now kinda bummed! >

TOL Machines - now kinda bummed!

TOL Machines - now kinda bummed!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM

I have two Viking sewing/embroidery machines. Find I am not doing much embroidery now and am doing more quilting. If there was a Brother/Babylock dealer in this area I would have looked to them for another machine. We only have Viking/Pfaff in this area.
Old 04-03-2013, 06:35 PM

Have you found that the stitch regulator works and worth the money?
Originally Posted by Tartan View Post
I paid $3000 a couple of years ago for my Bernina 440. It was a lot of money for me and it wiped out my pin money stash but I really wanted the Bernina Stitch Regulator. I would have liked the 820 but it was way beyond my budget.
Old 04-03-2013, 07:43 PM

I have the Husqvarna Viking Designer Diamond Deluxe-TOL embroidery machine for Viking. Second inline is the Ruby which is close the being same as the Diamond, only smaller but gorgeous wonderful machine that I have heard wonderful things about. Of course I love my DDD and it is one awesome machine. Now Pfaff has a new TOL, Creative Sensation to check out as well. Its all in what you want bells and whistles wise and the $$$.
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by twinkie View Post
All of these high end machines are beyond my budget ever.
That's ok... because you don't need them to quilt. Our ancestors quilted with basic machines and a needle and thread. They turned out works of art. TOL is nice, but not a necessity.
Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM

It looks to me like I may be running with the wrong crowd! I couldn't begin to think of paying more than $1,000 for a sewing machine and I'm absolutely sure I can get one with a thread cutter, good light, lots of decorative stitches
and up/down needle control plus lots of attachments for a whole lot less. My Janome Memory Craft 4800 is 14 yers old, my Kenmore with cams is more than 50 years old and I've got a great straight stitch Singer from the 1940's in a cabinet to die for and only the Janome cost more than $300. Those of you who have the kind of money that allows you to have problems choosing a machine that costs several thousand $ should count yourselves very lucky! froggyintexas
Originally Posted by Hockeyrabbit View Post
Hi All-

I was the one who started the recent thread about higher end machines and are they worth the money. So today, after putting on my new walking foot for my Bernina, I was thinking a lot about the features of a higher end machine. I think I finally "get it" as I don't have a thread cutter, knee lift, etc. and I REALLY WANT ONE! HA!

I did test out the Brother Dreamweaver which for me was around $4k because of trade in and other discounts..now I really wonder if I should BUY the machine?? I have my own LA so harp space isn't an issue, but I would love a machine that can sew costumes, bags, quilts etc. My Bernina is super nice, but old, small and lighting isn't the best. I do have to say that those features of a high end machine, probably really do save you time in the long run..but what do I know??

Anyways, kinda bummed, but then I think, well, I could put in a new driveway! HA! JC
Old 04-04-2013, 11:19 AM

Originally Posted by FroggyinTexas View Post
It looks to me like I may be running with the wrong crowd! I couldn't begin to think of paying more than $1,000 for a sewing machine and I'm absolutely sure I can get one with a thread cutter, good light, lots of decorative stitches
and up/down needle control plus lots of attachments for a whole lot less. My Janome Memory Craft 4800 is 14 yers old, my Kenmore with cams is more than 50 years old and I've got a great straight stitch Singer from the 1940's in a cabinet to die for and only the Janome cost more than $300. Those of you who have the kind of money that allows you to have problems choosing a machine that costs several thousand $ should count yourselves very lucky! froggyintexas
I agree Froggyintexas, I have my grandmothers 201-3 from early 50's, (I was 5-6 when she bought it and she had to borrow $5.00 from me day it came) a 70's Kenmore with some stitches, my Brother SQ9000 I paid $139. for last year and my White Rotary treadle ($150) and a 3 thread babylock form 80's and a Janome 4 thread that was a reburbished (I wanted 4 thread surger) and can sew anything I make up my mind to. These fancy machines are great if you can afford them but at 66 and on SS not for me and never were. I might get one if I could afford it, but am happy with what I have (Brother I bouoght pn Amazon for all the stitches. Only thing I still want is a FW.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by ube quilting View Post
I have a Bernina 170 that is now about fifteen years old. I have never used the embroidery attachment. It can talk to PC but never has. The USB port is still a virgin. The only thing I wish it had is an auto cutter. It cost 3000 that many years ago.

I love this machine and it does everything I need, even though I did buy more machine than I needed or really wanted.
peace
I have this machine as well...bought it used and it is my go-to machine...has embroidery, but I only use the built in stitches (mostly the built in alphabet). I'm happy with the bells and whistles on it and don't feel the need to upgrade.
Old 04-04-2013, 06:34 PM

I have the Baby Lock 4500D, which is about 5 years old. At the time I purchased it I paid $5,700.00. The dreamweaver sounds like a good deal to me. I love Brother and Baby Lock machines. They are the most user friendly ones on the market.