Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too critical of your own work? >

Too critical of your own work?

Too critical of your own work?

Old 06-07-2010, 04:10 PM

Originally Posted by hazeljane
I always thing of the Amish, deliberately putting a mistake in the quilt because "Only God makes perfect." I laugh, because I NEVER have to add a mistake- there are always plenty already there.

Ditto! My piecing usually has a mistake in it somewhere so usually when quilting I will just not quilt a part. One one of the quilts it was I didn't do a little part of a wing or two when quilting butterflies. On the quilt that I am quilting now, I left off a flower petal on two different flowers. I will have to take pics of them when done.

Kyia
Old 06-07-2010, 05:56 PM

I would drive myself nuts if I wanted perfection. I always set a goal to do better on the next one.
Old 06-07-2010, 06:22 PM

I don't look at my imperfections as mistakes, just as opportunities for creativity. Already I have created 2 new patterns for blocks in just that way! The TugHill Snowflake and the WildWindmill. Smilesssssss and Hugs!!!
Old 06-07-2010, 07:18 PM

Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I have made and hung the most imperfect wall hanging that you can imagine in my sewing area. Wavy borders, poor machine quilting, uneven, you name a mistake I made it on this quilt. But it has a place of honor because as I become a better quilter I can easily gauge how far I have come. I proudly show it off. If I get a chance, I will post a pic of it so you can all have a good a laugh!!!
That's just what the essay is about. Good for you!
Old 06-08-2010, 07:17 AM

Originally Posted by reach for the stars 2
Yes give yourself a break or you will never like to do it. I tell my students practice practice and someday it might be perfect but I haven't got there yet.
I tell my students when they get perfect they can't come back.
Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 AM

[quote=bstanbro]
Originally Posted by GrammaNan
I have made and hung the most imperfect wall hanging that you can imagine in my sewing area. Wavy borders, poor machine quilting, uneven, you name a mistake I made it on this quilt. But it has a place of honor because as I become a better quilter I can easily gauge how far I have come. I proudly show it off. If I get a chance, I will post a pic of it so you can all have a good a laugh!!!
Would love to see it. A good reminder for all of us to learn from our mistakes. I know I've made some doozies and not only with sewing! :-)
Old 06-08-2010, 07:45 AM

Iam not new to this quilting board but I am what is non active on writing. I truly enjoy the board and have learned very many great things from you. Would you please send me a copy of this essay the perfect quilt. Thanks, Ruthie
Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 AM

I agree I hate to give a quilt away for fear someone might think they could have bought one done better. My husband and kids all say they are perfect. But it wasn't till
my last grandson came along (I have 9 now) that I realized I really don't care, they love them he came to me when I was complaining to his mother that one didn't turn out as well as I wanted, and he patted my cheek and said Nana you did a good job, it's beautiful and I love it cuz you made it for me, so that makes it perfect. That made me realize nobody else really cares what mistakes are in them they, just want one or they wouldn't ask for them, or be hurt if they didn't get one. (That one wasn't for him but he got it anyway) just for being perfect.
Old 06-13-2010, 06:27 AM

Good Morning!

Could you please send me the essay one "The Perfect Quilt"
I would love to read it.

I am one of those who is very critical of my own work. Constantly tearing this out to try and make them perfect!

Thanks so much.

Connie
[email protected]
Old 06-13-2010, 07:06 AM

My mom is an artist who does oil paintings and murals. She says that 95% of the people who see her work just go "WOW!" and ahhhh and ooooh. They don't see flaws with her work and they think she is great. It is the 5% of the others who are artists that she knows will be the more critical.

I feel the same way about quilting. I am more nervous showing my work to those who quilt because they are more likely to see flaws and be critical.