Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One? >

Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One?

Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One?

Old 07-27-2016, 02:04 PM

Another NH quilter here! Rochester area...I have been quilting, and sweating, and quilting some more. But I QAYG, so it's not like I am under any of it. I keep telling myself that it will be winter soon enough, and we will all be complaining about how cold it is.

I do feel badly for the youngest two of my three cats...they are October babies and they have never lived through hot weather before. They both have heavy coats and generally they are just sprawled on the sort-of-cool tile in a center hall of my house. They look stunned sometimes.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:19 PM
Power Poster

I have to work on the DH to buy an a/c
Goodness, buy one yourself. All big home improvement store will deliver and install a window unit. I can't imagine your DH would want you to feel discomfort in your own home. Let him know it is a problem for you.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:39 PM

Originally Posted by quiltingcandy View Post
For years I have resisted buying an air conditioner because the electricity in our area is sky high. But I may need to re-think this because this heat is driving me crazy. I keep threatening my daughter that I will go sit in her house and run her air while she is at work. The other day she said she may want me to do it because her place was so hot when she got home she couldn't cool it down by the time she went to bed. The day isn't so horrible to me it is the night time.

Have your daughter install a timer thermostat. We did that and it's great not only for air, but heat. We let the house get warm, then have the air turn on about 15 minutes prior to me getting home. That's also what we do for heat.
Old 07-27-2016, 02:48 PM

It's been hotter than anything in Houston lately but we replaced both a/c units a few years ago. It was expensive but so worth it. The house stays nice and cool now. Because I'm still working, I do most of my sewing on weekends. I used to have to go up to the sewing room in the afternoon because it's east facing and the morning sun would make it way to hot to sew.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:00 PM
Power Poster

It will "only" be 106 today in our neck of the woods and I can't wait to get to my sewing room tonight. For some unknown reason, I get very active in the summer. LOVE the quilting when everyone else is outside doing summer things.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Power Poster

Central air conditioning or it would be too hot for quilting here also.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:19 PM

We've had hot, humid days here in Michigan. Luckily, we have central air but I remember one house that did not have central air. It was horrid and what took the cake is DH, at that time, was gm of a heating, ac & Hvac company. We lived there several years without ac. He was home (he'd pulled a muscle and couldn't really walk) and it was 95 by 9:30 in the morning. Moisture was wicking up the dinning room chairs from the carpet because the humidity was so high. He checked at work & there was a lull - we had central ac running by 5 that evening.

I have not accomplished much in the past two weeks. And, it's been hot here. I need to get busy as UFO's are piling up!

We've had hot, humid days here in Michigan for the past while. Luckily, we have central air but I remember one house that did not have central air. It was horrid and what took the cake is DH, at that time, was gm of a heating, ac & Hvac company. We lived there several years without ac. He was home (he'd pulled a muscle and couldn't really walk) and it was 95 by 9:30 in the morning. Moisture was wicking up the legs of the dinning room chairs from the carpet because the humidity was so high. He checked at work & there was a lull - we had central ac running by 5 that evening. I wouldn't be quilting here without ac.
Old 07-27-2016, 03:49 PM

Phew, it's too hot for anything. I got out yesterday in the (LOL) cool of the morning and broke a sweat just pulling the trigger on a bottle of poison ivy killer.