Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One? >

Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One?

Too Hot to Quilt? Am I the Only One?

Old 07-27-2016, 04:01 PM

I will do it in the coolest parts of the day either in the morning or in the evening. When its hot I don't quilt. I wish we had low to mid 90's Its been over a hundred for a few weeks now so I am miserable just like you
Old 07-27-2016, 04:57 PM

I live in central CA and expecting 108 today...Our last electricity bill was close to $300. We live in the country so the water pump and everything else runs on electricity.. We are on a "time of use" schedule least expensive, median cost and most expensive..So what is out schedule get up at 5-6am do what we can, 10 am. shut down most 220 power usage until 9pm. I take a long nap in front of a fan, then I am able to quilt from 9pm until 1-2 am. We do what we can..We have a pool so taking a dip really cools you down.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:33 PM

I hope you get your AC. At this stage of my life I have no intention to 'bear with' any discomfort in my home.
Old 07-27-2016, 05:51 PM

Here in central Alabama it's always hot and very high humidity. I don't have central air but do have window units in 4 rooms, one being my sewing room, another my bedroom, and ceiling fans in all rooms. Lived in south 50+ years so guess I am used to it. I hate being the least little bit cold so I would rather have the heat.
Old 07-27-2016, 06:21 PM

It hit 112 here today (just outside Death Valley). We have A/C, which I won't run as it costs $400+ per month and we also have evaporative (swamp) cooling which runs 24/7. Even with the swamp cooler and the ceiling fan, if the sewing machine is on, plus the overhead lights, plus the iron, the room becomes unbearable. I can sew in the mornings, but it is now 7:20 pm and it is still 106 degrees. Let's hope for an early Fall (and prey for rain).
Old 07-27-2016, 07:12 PM

The heat is relentless. Hubby wants to turn off the ac in the afternoon so it wont blow up in this weather....a/c unit is over 35 years old. So I got out the window quilts. In the winter, they keep out the cold....and in this heat, it keeps out the sun and the heat. House is so comfy, even without afternoon a/c, in consecutive 99 degree days.
Old 07-27-2016, 10:30 PM

It's in mid-90s where I live in the San Francisco Bay Area. My quilting room has no window A/C so I just bring my machine, iron, portable cutting board and project and take over the kitchen table where there is a great window AC. Although it cools down nicely at night through early morning, I've already got everything set up in the kitchen and besides, I often don't feel well in am. Luckily, our heat spells don't last too many days. During the hot daytime, it also helps to cool off in the pool (at our senior mobile home park's clubhouse). I get some exercise and just leave my hair wet and, since nobody ever visits without calling me first, I sometimes just leave my damp bathing suit on when I start sewing! If you do not have a pool to walk to, try the shower, dress cool and leave your hair wet. Now, if I had no A/C, no fans, no pool, no sprinkler or outside hose, and no shower (poor me!), I would not be doing anything except reading, with wet cloths all over me.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:46 AM

It's hot here in western Massachusetts. No quilting but I did make a little pouch for my Granddaughter's gift card for her birthday. It's a triangle one that was on Crafty Gemini Creates on You tube.
Old 07-28-2016, 02:46 AM

That's all I do in the summer months here in NC. It's not fit to do anything outside.

It's always the same temperature in my sewing studio. A cool 73 degrees.

My sewing room was up on the top floor, and I couldn't keep it cool enough with everything running. But this summer I am in the basement in our remodeled space. I am in heaven. I spend the whole day in there.

SVAL
Old 07-28-2016, 02:58 AM

I don't usually get time to quilt in the summer months because of several summer businesses...but I did visit my sewing room for about an hour last night and I had to retrieve a fan from storage to cool my sewing room while I pieced.

We should start construction this fall on my sewing room over the garage so I can move out of the guest room of our late 1700 home...maybe I'll consider a window AC.