Welcome to the Quilting Board!

Already a member? Login above
loginabove
OR
To post questions, help other quilters and reduce advertising (like the one on your left), join our quilting community. It's free!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Too much rotary cutting, or the dreaded A

Quote Originally Posted by themadpatter View Post
    How do the strip cutters work? Are they open at both ends? I have one of those big red sizzix machines around here somewhere.
    yes it's open at both ends and 25" long. works great!

https://www.amazon.com/Sizzix-Bigz-D...zzix+strip+die

Themadpatter: First of all, you are not getting old. I should know, I am 62 also and not getting old!

My advice, don't cut for extended period of time. I know, doesn't help much with your hurt now, but remember for next time. So sorry you are hurting, no fun at all. Sometimes applying ice to where it hurts can help. Ice for the first 24 hours or so (only keep ice on for 20 minutes at a time), then heat for the next couple of days (also only 20 minutes at a time).

Good luck! Hope you heal quickly.
    Last edited by ILoveToQuilt; 03-12-2018 at 02:30 PM.
    Anita

The only place that housework comes before quilting is in the dictionary.

I will be 73 soon. I can cut and trim for about 4-5 hours. I use my June Taylor strip cutter and rotary cutter. I stand straight and move my fingers around, take short breaks. My cutting table is perfect height for me. Makes a big difference, I don't have to lean to cut.
    Another Phyllis
    This life is the only one you get - enjoy it before you lose it.

Piedmont Virginia in the Foothills of the Blue Ridge Mtns.
    I suggest to you -- and remind myself! -- that an arthritis strength Tylenol or Aleve after cutting is always a good thing.

I recently did the same thing working on a log cabin quilt. After not having done almost any cutting/piecing/quilting for months, I spent 4 hours cutting, sewing, pressing, log after log and woke in the middle of the night in such hand pain I had to get out of bed and take meds. If I had done that just after, or even before I began sewing, it likely would have been a better story.

Got to remember that for next time!

Jan in VA
    Jan in VA
    Living in the foothills
    peacefully colors my world.
    http://www.quiltingboard.com/members...bums19552.html

Super Member quiltingshorttimer's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I had the same issues when cutting so long and had " Santa" get me an Accuquilt Go Big (the electric one) 3 years ago--I've had one shoulder surgery and no, thanks! to more. I was having some numbness and ache in my hand and elbow & orthopedist said repetitive motion and we talked about what to do. first is to set up table at correct height--stand straight and bend elbow and workspace should be where your hands are. Then he had me to through the motion--hold your cutter so you are pushing forward, not down (means a sharp blade needed). Like everyone else was saying, doc said to not do same thing for hours on end!, take a rest, have a fatigue mat under you so feet, legs, back gets some relief. and yes to an Aleve right afterward. A friend also showed me how to hold the ruler so you have a finger or two of the hand holding it 'off' the edge so the ruler is bracing against your finger--don't have to press down as much.

I apologize for not including this in my previous post, but I hope you feel better soon. Take care of yourself. We only get once chance on this earth, so take care and don't overdo!

Thank you all for the sweet wishes to feel better soon. Y'all are so nice!

Blog Entries
    I also prefer the Fiskars loop handle rotary cutter and do lots of cutting at a time. Using a new blade makes cutting a lot easier and less painless. I also take stretching and flexing breaks.
    Aurora

"A dying culture invariably exhibits personal rudeness. Bad manners. Lack of consideration for others in minor matters. A loss of politeness, of gentle manners, is more significant than is a riot." -Robert A. Heinlein

Tues noontime - just reading your woeful post. Been there a few times, good advice posted by others. here's one of the best I have: raise your cutting table by setting the legs on top of cans from your pantry. Presently I have 27 oz. cans of black beans under the legs of my dining room table - leaf extensions in place.
    You might put a square of rubber grip top to reduce slippage (never had one slip w/o this step but if someone pushed on the table it could I guess). at Guild we used banquet tables (old style, heavy) and #10 cans from the church pantry. Table height does contribute to shoulder/back pain. Another thing, we have a microwaveable heat pad. Originally it was gifted me and I used it a lot, but hubby enjoys the relief it affords for his leg cramps in the wee hours.
    Ours is 'Grandpa's Garden' brand, even on ebay they cost $40. plus --- there are lots of us 'boomers' creaking around! You'll be better in a couple more days - a massage if you can. Donna Bates

Blog Entries
    When I cut I wear a wrist brace (band) with Velcro closure that I bought at Walmart for about $5.00. I can also sit while I cut and use a sharp blade.

Probably all of the above. For me, the answer was an Accuquilt die cutter. Love it! It's pricey, but, to me, worth every cent!
    A quilt is like a good life. It's full of mistakes, but, in the end, it looks pretty good.

I'm glad 62 isn't old because I'll be there myself in a few months. I agree with all about taking breaks & doing a variety of tasks for short periods of time. Now to remember that when I start doing spring garden clean up for a client.

Hey, I remember when I was only 62 -- that was also BBT (before back trouble) -- almost 12 years ago! lol!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2