Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums > Main
Took inventory, so to speak >

Took inventory, so to speak

Took inventory, so to speak

Old 07-24-2010, 09:35 PM

I know what you mean about having a large stash of fabric. That's why I started trying to sell some on the classified section of this board today. I can't even see the top of my cutting table.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:49 PM
Banned

I don't have that problem, as I cant buy any, and have been using what people have sent me. God bless. Penny
Old 07-25-2010, 03:54 AM

I am a FABRICHOLIC!! It makes me happy and a Happy Mom is good to have around!! I figurie it will be my kids problem trying to get rid of my stash. Ha! Ha! Kids, remember those teenage years I told you I would get you back?
Old 07-25-2010, 03:59 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Yesterday I started really taking stock of all the fabric I own. I realized that at the rate I am using up fabric, I will be about 200 before I use up my stash. I have decided that I am now on a fabric fast. I am going to concentrate on using the fabric I own instead of running out to the store or jumping on-line for more. I think the fun of planning what I can do with new fabric has gotten out of hand.

I figure I have at least 2000 yards of fabric that is organized right now, not counting all the fabric still left to organize. (Probably at least another couple hundred yards.)

I wish I could feel your pain. I actually have no stash to speak of, but I am hopeful for down the road. Maybe once my kids are up and out of the house, this will change.

If anyone is desperately trying to self-medicate and rid yourself of that which is your downfall......I am willing to sacrifice my status of stash-free and take on your burden. LOL

Maybe use up some your stash to make charity quilts or wall hangings. I've seen many posts on here about charities needing quilts.
How many others suffer from a stash they cannot use up?
Old 07-25-2010, 05:11 AM

Originally Posted by MistyMarie
Originally Posted by QBeth

Sorry, don't mean to be so defensive. Let's just say someone is trying to shop my stash and I feel a bit unsettled. Not to worry.
QBeth,

If someone on this board is looking at our stashes and thinks that we are posting as an "advertisement" of sorts for them to request fabric directly from you, you have the right to be a bit defensive.

BTW - Stating a "generic" request that you would like some fabric is NOT the same in my book as PMing someone asking for it directly.
Feeling better today. What you say is dead on target. Thanks. :)
Old 07-25-2010, 05:14 AM

I, too, was looking through my "stash" this week and realized just how much I have. So, I am making a real effort to shop my stash first. I have enough to keep me going for quite a while and I DON'T want to turn into a hoarder.
Old 07-25-2010, 05:58 AM

it appears that some of you ladies are keeping the material companies in business. as Martha Stewart would say "That's a good thing". I thought I had lots of material but some of you put mine to shame. I have picked most of mine up at garage sales or been given some clothes that I cut up and used the yardage. Just this week, My sister gave me about 5 hawaiian shirts that her late husband wore. beautiful material so I am making her a memory quilt from them. There will be lots left to add to my stash. I make lots of scrap quilts. I guess if the material companies depended on me to keep them going they would be in trouble, so thanks to you gals that buy new material.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:07 AM

Count me in! I am definately a fabricaholic. I have tried swearing off buying fabric, but it doesn't work. Another "problem" I have is people "giving" me fabric. I feel obligated to keep it and use it. I sure would have to be hundreds of years old to use it all up, even if I don't buy any more. I figure God just doesn't want me to be bored or lazy. I am trying to use it for charity projects etc.
Old 07-25-2010, 06:14 AM

I too have a nice stash, but have been using it. Making scrap quilts really starts making a dent. I also been piecing the backs. Not to get too crazy with the backs because now you have just sewn 2 tops for one quilt, but great for fat quarters, left over yardage from the front, why did I buy this fabric, etc. I have even started to piece my leftover batting together to use. So far no problem. Batting takes up alot of room and I only have a small closet.
Old 07-25-2010, 07:59 AM

Boy,now I don't feel bad about my little stash!Thanks